"What do you mean?"

"I mean we are going to have to be very careful from now on. I know how sensual the blood drinking is for you. It is the same way for me too. You are capable of killing me, or any Fae for that matter, and you'll crave the blood immensely. I may crave the taste of you, but the difference is you will now need blood regularly to survive, whereas I do not. I'll try to teach you some things that will help you, but you'll also need to master some control. You cannot be seen as a threat by anyone."

"What do I need to do?" I asked, as I tried to comprehend all she was telling me.

"I need you to look me in the eye."

I did as she asked, locking gazes with her. A burst of panic suddenly overwhelmed me, and I found myself unable to look away.

"Try to relax." She spoke softly, her stare drilling into me. "I want you to remember everything I'm telling you. You cannot look away from me right now, because I am compelling you—placing hypnotic suggestions deep into your mind. This is something you can do to others as well, though it will not work on me since I am your creator. These suggestions can alter the way another person acts, so be careful with them. Do you understand?"

I nodded, unable to speak.

"Good," she continued. "I need you to tell me if you get thirsty, Bran. If you do this, I will see to it you are fed. You will only drink as much of my blood as I allow, not a drop more. You will stop immediately every time I ask. When I release you from this compelling, you will not remember the exact conversation, but you'll instinctively know all the impressions I've left here. Be careful about maintaining extended eye contact with any other Fae, as they may try to compel you as well. You will have a moment of dizziness as I exit your mind. I encourage you to lie down and rest for a few minutes."

She helped me lay down beside her, pulling her penetrating gaze from me slowly. I felt dizzy and blinked several times, focusing on her beautiful face.

"Do you feel comfortable?" She ran her hand over my forehead, leaning to place her lips there.

I laughed. "I never feel comfortable when I'm around you, Eirian. You keep my blood temperature near boiling for want of you. I'm beginning to think I'll never be a simple thing like comfortable again."

She smiled. "Well, dear bond mate, let me see if I can help you cool those fires."

I shook my head. "It's not possible, but please, feel free to try anyway."

In the early afternoon we finally made our way out for the day. I paused at the doorway, staring at the shaft of sun shooting across the walkway.

"I'm not going to burst into a pile of ashes or anything, am I?" I knew some Vampire lore, and I wasn't taking any chances.

Eirian laughed heartily. "No, my love. I'm afraid that is all a myth. Blood Wraiths are just as capable of enjoying the sunshine as anyone else."

"I'm glad you find my question so amusing. I'm always happy to entertain you."

She continued to laugh. "I didn't mean to make light of it. It was just the expression on your face. You looked so distasteful."

"As I'm sure anyone would who thought they might be about to burst into flames. Is there anything else I should know? Perhaps about garlic, or holy water and crosses?" It seemed completely absurd to ask these questions, or even the fact that they would somehow pertain to me.

"No, those are all myths too. You can be killed with a stake to the heart, however, but then again, so can everyone."

"So, am I dead now?"