Epilogue

Epilogue

I opened my eyes groggily as an alarm blared in my ear. I hit the snooze button and rolled over, grimacing as sunlight hit my eyes. I was still so tired.

Why did I sign up for such an early class?

It had been almost a year since I'd woken in a hospital with no idea who I was or where I came from. They told me I was found lying in the middle of the street, unconscious. Unresponsive, I was taken to the emergency room and admitted to the hospital until I roused. It was like someone had just dumped me out there. All I had was a piece of paper with my name on it.

"Raith Johnson," I muttered to myself. It was hard to wake up every morning and wonder if you really were the person everyone kept saying you were. I'd looked everywhere trying to find out something about myself, but there was nothing to be found. It was like I never existed until that day in the street.

What kind of person must I have been, if no one has even come looking for me?

When the alarm went off again, my roommate came in and turned it off for me.

"Dude," he said. "You're going to be late for class if you don't get up now. Why are you so tired? Didn't you stay in last night?"

"Yeah man, I did. I have a huge test today in one of my law classes," I explained. "I was up all night studying."

"You're the only guy I know who forgets who he is but still decides to try and get into law school." He laughed.

"Well, I figure I might as well make the best of it. I'm getting another chance at life for some reason." I still wished I knew who I was, but I meant it. I had another chance for some reason, and I was going to make the best of it.

After getting ready for the day, I headed out the door to school. I fell into a normal school day routine consisting of breakfast to-go, class, study in the campus courtyard, class, lunch from the cafeteria, class, more class, and then study in the campus library. However, my "normal routine" was about to get mixed up.

"Are you sure you don't have another copy?" I asked the librarian for the third time.

"I am absolutely positive, Mr. Johnson," she said icily.

I gave a frustrated sigh and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Do you know of any book stores or anything that would have a copy I could get right now? I really need that book." I felt bad for being so pushy, so I smiled apologetically. It didn't seem to do much good.

"The only other thing I can tell you is to try the public library on the other side of town." She turned away from me abruptly and I knew that was all the information I was going to get. Thanks a lot—not.

Grabbing my bag, I hurried out the door and although I'd never been to the public library before, I knew the general location and raced there on my bike. If I hurried, I would make it before they closed.

Ten minutes later, the old, paint worn doors swung open as I ran inside, down the towering aisles of books, straight to the librarian's desk. After breathlessly enquiring about my book, I turned around and hurried to the section I needed. I would have to leave to let them lock up in five minutes.

This was turning into a nightmare fast. If I didn't get that book I wouldn't be able to write the assigned paper due in two days. If I didn't write the paper, I'd fail the class. If I failed the class, goodbye law school.

My first perusal of the shelf yielded no results. Frustrated, I took a deep breath as I carefully glanced at each book, individually—she said it was not loaned out. The book wasn't there.

Flustered, I pulled out my phone and started looking up the nearest bookstore. I really, really needed that book.

While studying the map on my phone, I began walking to the front doors. I wasn't paying attention, and bumped right into a cart full of books, as well as the girl pushing it. She, in turn, bumped into the shelf next to us and a shower of books fell from the trolley, as well as the shelf, onto the floor with her.

"I'm so sorry!" I immediately bent down and offered to help her up, but she refused.

"It's okay, I've got it," she replied, getting to her knees. I felt horrible, especially since she was probably ready to go home and now I'd caused her more work.

"At least let me help you pick up all these books. I'm so sorry. You're closing and I had to go and make this huge mess for you." I felt like the world's biggest heel.

"It's alright, really," she laughed. "You can help pick up if it will make you feel better." She smiled at me and my heart did a funny flip.

I can't get in a relationship now. Remember; focus, law school, second chance.

I shook my head and began picking up books with her. The pile grew smaller and the echo of the books being set on the trolley rang through the now empty library. When only one book was left, we both reached for it, and our hands touched.

Memories of dances, kisses, and music came flooding into my mind so quickly that I yanked my hand away as if I'd been shocked. The girl looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"Raith?"

And then I kissed my Emilee.