Chapter One

Chapter One

Hadrian

I knew I shouldn't be here, but like every other time, her beauty beckoned me.

I was helpless to resist the lure of temptation—completely captivated—enchanted. Some would find irony in a Fae enchanted by a human. Once upon a time, I may have argued with them and convinced them of the impossibility of such a statement.

That was before I saw her, however. Everything had changed in that moment.

I don't believe in fate, the concept absurd to those of my people. We are endless—eternal—the masters of our own destinies. The longevity of our lives affords us the chance to sample all that life offers and with that comes the arrogant belief of our superiority.

Had someone told me I would become fascinated with a human female, I would've laughed and dismissed them with a casual wave of my hand. I would've reminded them who I was—Prince Hadrian Strongbow, youngest son to Queen Willomena—and such behavior was beneath me.

That was before I saw her, however. Everything changed in that moment.

Aithne. Her name was like a prayer on my lips.

Until that first encounter, I'd considered myself incapable of being influenced by baser emotions. But one look at her radiant beauty—the way her countenance seemed to outshine even the sun—was my undoing.

Aithne.

I didn't ever stand a chance.

"This needs to stop, Brother. Nothing can come from such an attachment." There was a touch of sadness to my eldest brother's voice. Having one other sibling, Favian and I were the closest, and I wasn't surprised that he'd followed me here.

I sensed his presence long before Favian revealed himself. Standing just within the tree line, I used the shadows cast by the fading sun as a way to keep hidden and didn't turn to respond. My focus, as always, rested on her.

My Aithne.

"Come, there's much to do at home. The hunt approaches, and a lot is expected of you."

"I don't care. I will be home when I'm good and ready," I responded. A smile curled over my lips as I caught the sight of a small flash of skin. My mouth watered as the desire to taste her grew strong. Leaning against the trunk of the old, giant, oak tree, I kept my arms tightly folded across my chest. The need to touch her soft body was maddening.

Favian moved beside me, and let out a heavy sigh. "This is folly, Hadrian, pure and simple. If you must, have your fling, but do so quickly. Take your fill and purge her from your system." He took a step forward and I could hear the beginning of frustration in his voice. I knew he didn't understand my fascination with Aithne, but I was helpless to explain something I didn't quite comprehend myself. All I knew was I couldn't keep away, and the feelings I was experiencing were deeper than anything I'd ever known.

"I choose more than a mere dalliance. One taste would never satisfy me. She's under my skin, brother, and not so easily removed. How can I not be in love with her? She is exquisite."

"She is human and therefore beneath you. You speak of love? Don't fool yourself. What you feel is the stirrings of lust, and will no doubt lead to an unhealthy obsession. She is not for you. Come home."

"I'm under her spell," I murmured, ignoring his pleas.

"It will fade. You're not the first to think so." Favian put his hand on my shoulder and moved to block my view of Aithne. Anger stirred within me and caused my fists to clench. For the first time since his arrival, I looked at my brother and acknowledged him.

"Why are you here?" Suddenly impatient, I spoke through gritted teeth. The faster I could get rid of him, the sooner I'd be able to continue watching the object of my affection. The coolness in the air suggested evening was fast approaching, and time was of the essence. Any moment she could decide to leave, and I wasn't prepared to see her go just yet. I was never ready.

"In truth, I am curious. I want to see what holds the sole attention of my beloved brother and brings him across into this world, defying his mother's wishes. You know she won't turn a blind eye forever. It's why I suggest you hurry, have your fling, and be done with this." Favian shifted so he was in my full view. With my complete attention, it was difficult to ignore his concern. "Please, favored or not, you don't want to upset her. You know how she feels."

Closing my eyelids, I recalled the countless lectures I'd received in my youth—about the ruthlessness of humans and their fickle hearts. Many Fae had been lured into traps only to find their souls ensnared. It had led only to misery—so my Mother spoke—and I'd promised to avoid it at all cost. I'd kept my word. Until Aithne.

"Turn around and look for yourself. See what brings me here eager for a mere glimpse." I ignored the flicker of hesitation that crossed Favian's face. The idea his soul could be captured by just one look was pure superstition, and I struggled not to laugh. "See."

He had no need to fear, she was perfect. Sitting in the shallow depths of the river, the water caressed her slender form as she trailed her dainty hands through the crystal liquid. The sun's rays caused her raven-black hair to shine, the soft curls framing her face perfectly. I longed to twirl the long strands around my fingers—the same way the tips floated about in the current when she tilted her head back and stared at the sky. She was flawless—from the porcelain glow of her skin to the smile that brightened her countenance. What I yearned for was to see the true color of her dark eyes. I imagined they were a rich chocolate brown and just once, I wanted them to look my way.

He moved slowly, but once he beheld her there was silence. I couldn't tell what his thoughts were—his expression guarded—but I was confident he understood what brought me back here seeking her presence. Her innocent beauty was irresistible.

"I see a human female, brother, one who is obviously not plain but nothing that would warrant your growing obsession. She is pretty enough. Have your way with her, and be done with it."

"She will never be just a fling," I growled softly.

"It's all she could ever be." The sorrow in his voice floated in the air. Moving around me, Favian clasped my shoulder and squeezed it gently in apology. "I'm sorry, Hadrian, come home. Please."

I bowed my head, not wanting to hear his reasoning or the honesty of his words. I wasn't ready to acknowledge them, and we stood that way for a moment before I finally nodded.

"I'll be there shortly," I conceded without turning to the sound of splashing water which beckoned for one more glance. Favian appeared satisfied with my response and faded away into the trees.

Letting out a sigh, I took a step to follow. But her tinkling laughter reached out, and—like a fish trapped in a net—I was caught again. Imprisoned by desire, I broke my vow without a second thought.

It was one thing to yearn from the shadows. It was another to break free from my confining hiding place and fully reveal I was there.

A gasp filled the air, and my heart constricted. I'd done it. I was exposed and there was no going back now. Staring into the face of my Aithne as her eyes grew wider by the second, she must have recognized what I was. It should've concerned me, but the only thing I could think or feel was relief.

"Hello."

One simple word uttered from her lips, and I was lost.