Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Aithne

The day had been a complete drudgery. I silently counted down to the moment I could escape my chores and the watchful eye of my father to meet Hadrian. My once sunny and cheerful disposition dripped of impatience. There were a few times after the noon meal where I was tetchy in my response to others, causing them to raise their eyebrows at me. Meanwhile, that knowing smile returned to my father's face.

"Make sure you enjoy your afternoon, Aithne. Say hello to whomever you might meet."

I shook my head at the teasing tone in his voice and quickly grabbed the light shawl hanging by a hook near the front door. All I could think of was Hadrian, and although we hadn't discussed where we should meet, I soon found myself back at my private retreat—my empty retreat.

I nervously paced, the slightest sound caused me to whirl around and hope it was him. I wrung my hands and chewed on my bottom lip as I recalled the last thing he spoke yesterday. I hadn't imagined him asking me to return. The surety of the memory caused me to cease in my ambling back and forth. He would come, and with that belief, I allowed myself to relax.

I removed my covering and dropped it on the grass then slowly began to kick off my shoes. The sun reflected on the river's surface, the sparkling water a temptation. Once barefoot, I skipped over to the edge and with a loud sigh of contentment submerged my feet. I wiggled my toes in delighted at the cool sensation and bent forward to wet my face. It felt like heaven.

Not wanting to get the hem of my gown soaked, I returned to where I'd placed my shawl and picked the wild flowers that grew nearby. My legs folded beside me, I slowly began weaving the stems together to create a simple garland for my hair. Between watching my nimble fingers work and the soft melody I sang, I wasn't aware of his arrival until his greeting interrupted my work.

"We meet again, fair Aithne."

The shock of his voice caused me to drop my floral circlet, and I gasped as I looked up at him. He was standing so close, and the brightness of the sun behind him gave the appearance that he was surrounded by a mystical glow. It was almost too much to comprehend—too much beauty to behold. I found myself trying to speak, and I blushed as he chuckled low.

"It seems I'm always startling you. For that I am sorry." Hadrian crouched and plucked the garland from my lap. "I see you've been busy. Here, allow me the honor."

I bowed forward, and he gently placed it on my head, careful to make sure my hair was tucked behind my ears. He studied me for an instant before a wide smile broke across his angular face.

"Perfect. The flowers rejoice in being able to accent your beauty."

"That's a sweet thing to say. Thank you." I felt myself flush again.

"It is the truth. They have whispered the matter to me. They are greatly pleased," Hadrian replied. He sat down beside me, cupped his hand around a fallen flower, and raised it to his face. "I am close to nature and hear such things. Being Fae, it is my duty to listen."

I peered at his palm, saddened to see the state of the blossom. Some of the torn and battered petals were starting to wither, but to my amazement they slowly began to heal. I lifted my head abruptly and stared in wonder at Hadrian as he whispered quietly—the language lyrical in nature. Before I had a chance to comment, he stopped and presented me with the now whole flower.

"How did you do that? Are you magic?" I couldn't keep the incredulous tone from my voice.

"Magic, yes, but not as you know it. All Fae are in tune with the elements of the Earth, and they are ours to command. We are taught that all life is sacred and should be nurtured and respected. Of course, I cannot speak for all my kind, but it holds true for me. If it is within my means, I strive to always help."