Part 2 | emptiness

Kai's heart ached as if it had been repetitively stabbed with a blunt knife. The pain wouldn't leave him. He tried to reassure himself that everything was ok. But it wasn't. Lying to himself that he was fine was like someone trying to fix his broken heart with blu tac and cellotape...and failing. Breathless and bewildered, he remained slumped against his wall for what felt like a 18 hours.

He finally got up and walked over to his side table to check the time. He had only been in his room for ten minutes.

With anger, he pushed his luminous alarm clock onto the floor leaving thousands of tiny shards everywhere. In less than a second, he stormed around his room pushing everything else on his side table and desk onto the floor.

He walked up to his mirror and looked back disgustedly at his own reflection. He began to claw the glass until he finally reached for it and took it off the hook on the wall. With it raised above his head he was about to-

There was a knock at the door. Kai froze with the mirror raised above his head. There was another knock a couple of seconds after the first. Kai placed the mirror leaning on the wall before lightly stepping between the stationary and other broken objects lying on his wooden floor. He made his way to the door trying not to make a sound. He stood a metre away from the door just staring at it. He had no intention of opening it.

Someone on the other side cleared their throat but Kai still wasn't sure who it was.

The door began to slowly creep open. Kai plunged himself at the door, slamming it shut. The walls in the building vibrated and a polaroid that was pinned onto his noticeboard fell off. Kai turned his attention away from the door and watched it swirl around the room like a golden brown leaf in autumn falling to the ground.

The door was opened again but this time Kai didn't resist. He turned his back to see who it was.

With tears fogging his vision, he looked up to Kyungsoo's face. Kyungsoo's perfect face. His hair fell perfectly framing his perfect, stupid face.

Kyungsoo observed the state of Kai's room. An expression of concern crept across his face. He saw Kai standing in the middle of the mess he made like a guilty 5 year old about to get told off by their mother. He looked away from him as something else had caught his attention. He itched towards the polaroid that was now on the floor. Having his back to Kai, he bent down to pick it up. Kyungsoo walked over to Kai's empty bed before sitting down on it. With the picture in his hands he looked at it.

Kai sat down next to him. A lopsided smirk grew on Kyungsoo's face. He was still staring at the photo. It was a polaroid of them two from three years ago in New York. They were posing in front of the Statue of Liberty. Both had cups of choco bubble tea in their hands as insisted by Sehun.

'You still have this?' Kyungsoo said. Kai nodded. Both of their eyes were still fixed on the photo.

Kyungsoo sighed and took one of his hands off the photograph and placed it on Kai's shoulder. A warm sensation tingled down Kai's body. Kyungsoo's touch haunted him yet he wanted more.

Kai stood up freeing himself from his friend's grasp.

'I..er..think you should go now' Kai said whilst scratching his head. His eyes paced around the room before settling on some books missing a few pages on the floor. He couldn't bare to look Kyungsoo in the eyes. His bold, dark eyes. He couldn't bare to look anywhere at Kyungsoo without the possibility of screaming.

'Oh I....um ok' Kyungsoo replied sounding deflated. His face was left looking empty. No one would have guessed he had been smiling only a few seconds beforehand.

Kyungsoo hesitantly got up from the bed.  His big hands reached for the doorknob but then he was stopped. 'Wait. Don't leave. I have something I need to tell you, Kyungsoo.'