Chapter 6

I looked at myself in the mirror. I had spent two hours getting ready, excluding the one hour shower that I had cried the whole time in.

I thought I looked pretty good. My curly brown hair was combed to the side, then set in a high ponytail with a few curls escaping, framing my face. I had applied light pink eye-shadow, some purple eyeliner, and glittery mascara that made my dark brown eyes stand out. I widened my eyes, at myself, making my expression look surprised and innocent. I let my eyebrows rest, and now I look like I usually did. Severe. Angry. Sexy.

I pursed my lips. I wasn’t going for sexy; I was going for sweet and innocent. I couldn’t keep my eyes widened all night, could I? Instead, I looked like a model, something I was trying to avoid tonight. I wasn’t going to give Harry Styles something to look at.

I looked down at what I was wearing. Boyfriend jeans and a distressed tee that slid off my shoulder to reveal my tank top strap. I wasn’t even wearing heels, instead choosing my purple Converse sneakers. I looked more like I was taking a walk in the park than going out to a club.

I was going to change into my black halter dress and the same black pumps I had tried to seduce Niall in when my buzzer rang. I groaned. Guess I wouldn’t have time to change after all.

I suddenly decided it would be a good idea to at least put on a miniskirt. Running to my closet, I threw off my jeans, pulled on a bright pink miniskirt that clashed perfectly with my neon green tee and kicked off my sneakers, strapping on my brown wedges instead.

There was a knock on my door, and I hurried to open it. I wasn’t looking forward to going out with Harry, but I at least wanted to look nice for him.

Grabbing my light blue purse, I flung open the door.

“Hi Harry,” I said, brushing away a curl from my face. He looked nice in a button down shirt and nice jeans, and his hair was just-so. I stopped myself from admiring him too much and looked at his face.

“Hi Lisa,” he said. I tried not to make a face when he called me that. Only my close friends called me Lisa.

“You read to go?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I replied. I closed the door and locked it behind me, and followed Harry to the elevator.

“So, how are you?” he asked. He was polite, but distant.

“Good, what about you?” I asked. See, I can be polite and distant too.

“Good,” Harry deadpanned. Our chit-chat ended there.

We rode the elevator down and we hailed a taxi when we got the curb.

“Storm Nightclub,” said Harry to the driver. He turned to me. “That’s where you guys were planning on going, right?” he asked.

I nodded, then looked out the window. I didn’t want to think about how tonight could have been the night I enlightened me and Niall’s relationship. Now I was stuck with Harry. This night was sure to be different from what I imagined.

We rode pretty much the whole way in silence. The only communication we had throughout the whole ride was when Harry paid the driver.

“I could have done that,” I said, frowning. I didn’t want to owe Harry. I already owed him for saving my night out, though I hardly considered it “saving”.

“I’m the one who’s taking you out tonight, so I’m the one who pays the cab driver. Is that okay?” he asked, a little smirk on his face.

“Fine,” I grumbled. I didn’t look at him.