Chapter 4

After talking with Adrian, I decided to do the unthinkable. I dressed in the most ridiculous lingerie I owned, put on a long, camel-colored overcoat, and put on my sexiest pumps I owned. Before doing this, however, I applied vanilla-scented body butter and removed all my makeup. Niall hated it when I wore makeup, saying he preferred my “natural beauty”. I wanted to please him as much as I could today.

Heading over to his flat in a taxi, I tried to remember all the Cosmopolitans I had ever read. Most said that surprising your lover with sex was the best way to spice up a relationship, but I’m sure most of those magazines did not have Niall Horan in mind. It’s not like he’s gay or anything, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he’s such a goody-two-shoes, (he’s not), it’s just that once we get to the point of having sex, he seems confused. It’s like he doesn’t know what to do. It was funny at first, but a girl has her needs, and it got tiresome after a while.

Niall was my first serious boyfriend. Sure, I had those high school relationships, and sure, I lost my virginity to one of them, but I never really loved them. Niall’s different. I love him, and I know he loves me, but there’s something missing. That spark that I’ve heard so much about in romance novels, movies, and songs. We’re missing that spark. Maybe tonight I can light it.

Niall’s doorman buzzed me up. I waited anxiously in the elevator as I slowly ascended it his floor. What would he do? Would he love me still? Would he push me away? I felt that nervous sweat begin, but a part of me – a part of me that I rarely felt – was looking forward to this. As I’ve stated before, our sex life isn’t that great. I wanted to change that.

I arrived at Niall’s flat and knocked with confidence on the door. After this, my old, boring life would be over, and a new life would take its place.

“Coming!” called Niall. I heard him fiddling with the locks as I prepared myself. Right before Niall opened the door, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

“Annalise?” said Niall. My eyes flew open and I took in the image. Niall had on a tank top and was wearing cargo shorts. He looked confused. “What are you doing here?”

I ripped open my overcoat and tried to grin seductively. I narrowed my eyes, trying to seem as sexy as I could.

Niall’s eyes widened as he took in my black lacy bra and thong. Since we’re not very passionate, it was the best I had.

I expected him to grab me then and kiss me, or grin seductively and wrap his arms around my waist. Instead, he stood there, dumbstruck as I stood frozen staring back at him.

Is this what’s supposed to happen? I thought. We stand and stare awkwardly at each other? Hardly romantic at all!

I sighed and let my arms fall down to my sides.

“Niall, I didn’t come over here for you to stare at me in your doorway,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Something has to happen.”

Niall’s eyes moved to my face. He looked scared.

“Annalise,” he said. “What do you want?”

This was the moment I could have told him exactly what I wanted. That I wanted him to pay more attention to me. To bring me flowers again. To sing to me and take me out to a dinner by the sea. I wanted so much, but instead I stayed silent as I took his face in my hands and kissed him.

Niall was frozen, I moved closer to him, trying to warm him up. I felt him relax a little and his arms slowly began to wrap around my hips. When I felt his touch, I became more aggressive and pushed him back into his apartment.

I shut the door with my foot, as Niall moved from my lips to my neck. I felt him shrug me out of my overcoat while I pulled off his tank top. I moved my hands down to his chest and pressed my palms against it. I groaned as he moved down lower and kissed my chest. I wrapped my arms around his head as he undid my bra.

He suddenly stopped and stood up. I still had my arms wrapped around his neck.

“What’s wrong, honey?” I asked. I didn’t want it to end.

He shrugged out of my grasp and turned away.

“I’m just not ready,” he said, not looking at me. “I’m sorry.”

“But…”I began.

He had already walked away, leaving me longing for what I almost had.