Chapter 17

Surprisingly, it didn’t take much to convince Adrian to forgive me.

“Yeah, yeah. I forgive you,” he said, rolling his eyes. “Now fill me in on the details.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. While I was glad that he was forgiving me, I was suspicious. It wasn’t like Adrian to forgive me so easily.

“Are you okay?” I asked. “I heard you broke up with what’s-her-name.”

Adrian shrugged.

“She was using me, just like you said,” he said vaguely. “Anyways, fill me in. It’s been forever since I last talked to you.”

I sighed. Just like Adrian to be more focused on my life than his.

“Well,” I said. “Harry professed his love for me, Niall says he’s trying to make things work, Liam figured it all out basically, and I decided that I would decide between Harry and Niall right before the world tour.”

For once in my lifetime, I had Adrian completely floored. He sat there with his eyes wide open, his mouth agape, and his eyebrows half-raised. He was in utter shock.

“Lisa!” he shrieked. “What the hell have you been up to since we last talked?”

I stopped to think. I had slept with Harry after our heart-to-heart, but Niall and I had yet to get hot in heavy in the bed.

“Well…I slept with Harry again,” I said honestly.

Adrian’s face got even more shocked.

“I thought you said that was a mistake?” he said incredulously.

I shrugged. Adrian groaned.

“My GOD, Lisa, you’re going to get in so much trouble!” he remarked. “What happens when Niall finds out?”

“He won’t,” I said as confidently as possible. “I won’t let him.”

Adrian looked at me as if I were crazy.

“You’re not serious, are you? What happens if….I don’t know. You’re fucking Harry and then Niall comes to your flat, and your doorman rings him up without telling you? Or….you and Harry going out on a ‘secret’ date, and then some reporter spots you two kissing? Think about what might happen!”

I shrugged. I wasn’t about to go and tell Adrian I had thought about all these things. I had disregarded everything, and he would just scold me and tell me to think.

I didn’t want to think. I wanted to be in love.

“I love them both,” I told him honestly. “Niall’s love is like…like an old sweater. Something that may be old and boring, but it keeps you warm and safe.

“Harry’s love is like…like a new flavor of ice cream you’ve never tasted before. It’s new and exciting, and there are little surprises in it. As soon as you taste it, you realize it’ll become you’re favorite flavor, no doubt about it.”

Adrian snorted.

“How poetic,” he deadpanned. “Think, Lisa. Decide who you want now! Things will get too complicated if you don’t!”

I crossed my arms. I wasn’t going to change my plans, even though a tiny part of me knew that Adrian was right.

“No, Adrian. I won’t. I’ll do what I want,” I said, my tone firm and stiff.

“Lisa…” said Adrian, his eyes filled with worry.

“Why do you even care?” I asked, my eyes narrowing.

Adrian looked away, and I noticed tiny tears forming in his eyes.

“Lisa….” he said. “I care because….because I love you.”

Despite myself, I groaned.

“What?” whined Adrian. “Why are you laughing?”

I was laughing. It sounded so hilarious coming from Adrian’s lips. It sounded like one of our lines from Castle in the Clouds. It sounded like the last scene where he takes my hand, looks into my eyes, and says, “I love you.” Too bad we’re skyping.

“I’m sorry,” I said, wiping a tear from my eye. “It sounds like the old times, though.”

Adrian smiled softly. I could tell he was remembering the good times with me.

“Lisa…I do love you. I’ve loved you since I first met you. I never had the guts to tell you I loved you. When you started dating Niall, I figured the best I could do was to help you. When the whole Harry thing happened, I figured that to show my love, I’d give the best advice I could.

“Annalise Briggs, I love you. I’m sure you’ve been getting a lot of this lately, but believe me when I say that I don’t care if you don’t pick me. I will do everything and anything for you. No matter what.”

Adrian smiled softly again, and I began to feel emotions stir inside of me. Tears began to fall again, and I realized that no longer could I rely on Adrian to help me. He was now just another part of the big mixture that was called my love life.

“Adrian,” I said, holding back tears. “I have to go now. Goodbye.”

“Wait! Lisa…stop…” Adrian began, but I clicked end, and he was gone.

I sat back on my couch and stared out at the Thames River. Why was this happening to me? My life was spiraling out of control. I know there are some people who like it when so many people like them, but I’m not one of those people.

My phone rang. It was Adrian. I didn’t bother picking up. Niall had left a voicemail on my home phone. He was asking if I wanted to come over tonight. I would pretend as if I hadn’t gotten it. Harry texted me. He was asking if he could come over tonight. I knew that I wasn’t going to even text him back and tell him I wasn’t in the mood.

Instead of addressing all my problems, I was going to curl into a ball on my sofa and cry my heart out. Instead of telling the truth to everyone, I was going to sob like a baby. Instead of deciding who I truly loved, I was going to let the tears fall, and hope that all my problems would disappear by morning.