Chapter 25 ~ The Heat Rises

>>||Lucifer's POV ||<<

I entered the house nearly breaking the door off it's hinges. "Jenna," I called to the kitchen as I tramped up the stairs. I received no answer so I turned around and tramped back down the stairs, emphasizing my steps so she'd see how annoyed I was. "Jenna is Anna home? Jenna?" I slowly entered the kitchen. I didn't see anybody at first, but then I noticed finger marks on the wall. They were printed in blood, and they smeared down to the floor. No. I hesitantly stepped forward. There was blood on the floor, and I was scared to see what was behind the island counter; I was scared it would be . . . I took another step forward and I saw. No.

I knelt down next to Jenna's limp body, and felt for a pulse. Nothing. Jenna's clothes were mangles and ripped, and her straight black hair was still pulled back into it's classic ponytail. She was splayed on her stomach, so I turned her onto her back and looked at her face. I internally gasped. Her face was clawed down the side of it, and blood oozed from the deep cuts. I held a hand to her dry cheek, and I ran my thumb over her olive skin. I'll miss you. I thought and lifted from my crouch.

I silently made my way up the stairs, stopping at Mr. Crinkles office. I poked my head inside to see his unmoving body flung over his desk. Shit. I knew he would be just as dead as Jenna, so I continued my way down the long narrow hallway.

The first door belonged to Logan, I slowly turned the knob and looked inside. Sony and Logan rested on the floor, both pairs of wings ripped from their backs, and their brains were exposed due to a shot in the forehead. I continued down the hallway. This was Gabe's room. I swallowed hard. I didn't want anything to happen to my brother, but I prepared myself for the chance that he'd be lying on the floor in the same position as Sony and Logan.

I turned the knob slowly, sucking in a deep breath as I pushed it open. To my relief there was no sign of him in the room, he was probably out of the house and had no idea this happened. I turned my head to the next door. . . It was mine. My heart quickened.

No. If Anna is dead and I wasn't here to protect her, I will never forgive myself. I put my hand on the knob, but I couldn't bring myself to open the door. Get it together! I smacked my forehead with my free hand. I didn't think I could see Anna dead, but I had to make sure. I slowly opened the door, and heaved my breath out to find the room empty. She was probably with Gabe, and though it made me jealous I was just happy she wasn't here. "Thank go-" I stopped myself there. GOD could be responsible for all this, no way I'm going to thank him. That saying needs to be executed.

Just as I was ending my internal grumble, I heard a sound. Sort of a crackle. I turned around and left my room, looking both ways in the dim lighted hall. One of the two ceiling lights had been ripped off, and the second one was cracked and it was flickering constantly. I looked straight ahead of myself at Kate's room. I cancelled everything out of my ears and just listened in on her room, like I had on Gabe's room last night. There was a small, almost inaudible, feminine groan coming from the inside. I flung the door open. Kate was hunched on the floor, supporting herself with her thin arms. There was a black scythe hooked into her back and blood was pouring from in.

"Kate," I whispered and knelt down next to the small girl. She wheezed and pointed out the door, I turned and looked but nothing was there. I put both hands on the scythe, ready to pull it out. "What is it Kate, who did this to you?" She just wheezed some more and her arms began to shake. She opened her mouth to speak, but she couldn't form words. Blood leaked from the side of her mouth. Just as her eyes started to glaze over, she twisted her arm to tap her back, indicating me to pull out the scythe. I did. Blood poured out of it, but it started to heal over slowly. She sucked in a much needed breath, and spoke a barely audible name. "H-harry."