Chapter 19: Roxy

Beginne am Anfang

A man lowered himself onto the grass before Tristan, then ran his hand across a coarse brown beard, his hazel eyes watching me.

"I didn't expect to see you here today, Adam. You have travelled a long way."

The man transferred his gaze from me to Tristan. "Not as far as you might expect—we are currently in the northern limits of Jabberow."

Tristan's brow furrowed. "But it's the wrong season—you are usually in the lower pastures—I wouldn't have expected you this far north until the rainy season. What's wrong?"

Adam's reply was composed of a single word: "lykoi."

"Ah. That is unusual. The lykoi normally stay in Holenholt and Clayshire. What could have driven them so far south?"

"We don't know yet, but we need them to go back; several of our flocks were massacred at the beginning of the month, but worst—the cause of our move—they attacked a young child. The boy was only five."

"By the earth, is he OK?"

Adam shook his head. "We had to bury him in pieces."

Tristan swore loudly. "You were right to move."

"Yes, but what do we do now? The Animal Protection Act prevents us from retaliating. But we've been driven out of our homes. My people are dying. I need to keep them safe. That's why I came here today."

"I can't sanction the killing of lykoi, Adam, even once I've won the election. They are a protected species."

Adam's eyes darkened. "I had hoped that wouldn't be your response."

"But my answer doesn't mean that I will do nothing. A Protector could move them on with ease. I'm sure Ash could make a detour that way once the elections are over—whether I win or not, we will fix this problem. The lykoi can be moved passively. In fact, it ties in well with one of the initiatives I was hoping to announce at the next debate: I would like to give the Protectors, all of them, a more formal role in the running of the Realm. Under my leadership, I would like to see them take on tours of the Realm, two at a time, each going in the opposite direction. Each camp should get a visit from a Protector three times a year. That will save you having to travel to us whenever you have problems and will ensure that everyone receives the help they need. The power of Protectors should be shared equally, for the good of the Realm, rather than reserved for the few areas in which they were born."

Adam sat quietly for a moment, giving some thought to Tristan's suggestion. "Jabberow has not had its own Protector for three generations now. Regular visits could be useful and they would help us to spread news. I think it is a wise idea, Tristan Terra. You already had my vote, but this guarantees it. You will be a wise President."

"Thank you, Adam, your confidence in me means a great deal."

Adam's attention shifted back to me and his brows creased. "Just see that you do not let yourself become distracted by inappropriate companions."

Tristan laughed loudly. "You have nothing to fear, friend. Roxy is with me because it is the safest place for her to stay. She will move on as soon as the elections are over and our Realm will be better for her visit."

Adam did not look convinced, but he shook Tristan's hand as he stood up and headed back over to a group of Sephans on the fringes of the clearing. "Interesting policy," I said, as soon as Adam was out of earshot.

"Thank you. I've only just come up with it." He shot me a maverick grin before greeting our next visitor, who was laden down with large baskets of food. "Taryn! I knew I could count on you to see me fed. Sit down, good man."

"I wouldn't come all this way without treats from home. My baskets are full with the fruits of Arden, as is only right for our candidate." With Taryn was a small troop of middle-aged Sephans, all of whom Tristan knew by name and greeted as they took a seat on our patch.

"Roxy, these are my people, the Ardens." He smiled at them warmly. "I trust I will not have to lobby for your support, friends?"

"Of course not, Tristan," Taryn laughed. "We are looking forward to seeing one of our own with the Oak Sceptre. We are just here to show our support; we will stay to see you sworn in too."

"Thank you for your confidence, although it is a little premature—I have not won yet and my opponent over there—" He gestured to Erica with a piece of round purple fruit, which he had picked from the baskets, "—will not take to kindly to such remarks."

"Let the earth take the Foreven. She'll not grind our spirits into the mud." Taryn grinned and produced half a dozen lime green glass bottles from a bag, which he passed around the group. I opened mine tentatively and sniffed. It smelt citrus and bitter and tasted much the same, although it was also refreshing.

Tristan drained his bottle in a matter of seconds and placed it beside him on the grass before turning back to Taryn. "It is good to see you, Taryn, your support means a lot to me and I've missed seeing faces from home."

"Ah," Taryn said, looking serious all of a sudden. "That answers my next question then: you haven't had a visit from anyone else from Arden?"

"No, no one before now. Why?"

Taryn dropped his voice, so as not to be heard by passing Sephans. I had to concentrate, but I could just about make out what he told Tristan: "Silas left the camp a few weeks ago. He was agitated, raving. We assumed he had come here, to you." Taryn paused and drew back, running his hand across his beard again. "Perhaps he travelled elsewhere instead."

"I haven't seen him." Tristan was frowning now. "Did he say anything about why he was leaving?"

"There were... rumours, spreading around the camp. But not the sort of thing sensible voters would pay any attention to, Tris. You don't need to worry about that. We had feared though, that if he got here and rumours spread around those who didn't know you so well..." Taryn stopped and shook his head. "He's not here though, so there's nothing for you to worry about." Taryn stretched his mouth into a smile, though his eyes remained weary, concerned.

"Thank you for the warning, friend," Tristan said, taking another piece of fruit. "I do not need to fear anything Silas might say, but it is nice to be forewarned, all the same." Tristan leaned back on his arms, gazing thoughtfully into the trees.

{A little bit of world building in this chapter. And a few hints at Tristan's past. He might not be quite as good as he seems... Please vote/comment to let me know what you think. I loved reading all the theories on last week's chapter. What do you think Silas' visit might have in store for Tristan? You can find out in the next Roxy chapter...}