Part Four - Soul

Maka spent her whole day with Kid. It didn't matter what they were doing, studying, reading, talking; they were content with just being with each other. She spent her time with Kid at his house. Only when the moon shone in the sky did she finally decide she needed to go home.

She got home to find Soul sitting in the dark living room, his arms crossed over his chest. She entered and turned on the light, jumping when she saw Soul on the couch.

"Soul! You scared me, why are you sitting in the dark?" she asked.

"Where have you been all day, Maka?" he asked, standing from the couch.

"I was over at Kid's, he was helping me study for the test we have next week."

"Why are you lying about studying, that's not like you," Soul scolded. His red eyes were alight with anger.

"What's wrong with you?" Maka asked, setting her stuff down and walking slowly toward Soul who stepped back. "You haven't been acting normal since Stein's lesson."

"You're right, and neither have you. You changed when you went to confront Kid and came back. You seem a lot closer to him than you were before you left."

"What are you trying to accuse me of, Soul?" she asked.

"What is going on between you and Kid?" he responded coldly.

"It's none of your business," Maka lashed back.

"You are my Meister, Maka; anything that concerns you concerns me."

"It's not your job to tell me who to be around."

"No, but it's my duty as your partner to tell you that you need to stay away from him," Soul's voice raised in anger and Maka's face fell. "Kid is not the guy you should be with, he isn't good for you."

"You have no right to tell me who to or not to be with," she yelled at him. "I like Kid, and if you have a problem with it, oh well. It's my life, not yours."

"Would you get a hold of yourself, Maka," he grabbed at her shoulders as if to shake her, but instead she noticed how his hands shook. "I came after you, I saw you and him in the rain, I saw you two . . ." he shook his head as if to banish the memory. "You can't do this, not to yourself, or to him, or to me."

"You can't tell me what to do, Soul," she told him, pushing his hands away from her. "You're not my boyfriend."

"No, but if anyone was to be, it should be me, not Kid."

"Kid is the only guy I would want to be my boyfriend," she said coldly, Soul flinching at her words. She realized she crossed a line but hardly cared. She brushed past Soul without another word and left to her room, slamming the door behind her. She couldn't believe Soul, trying to tell her who to be. But, there was something in the pit of her stomach that almost physically hurt her.

***

Soul felt he was falling into a deep darkness as Maka slammed her door. He could feel it deep in his lungs, the pain that made it harder to breathe. She rejected him, and for Kid, too. This wasn't hoe it was supposed to be, she was supposed to want him and be with him, but instead she wanted Kid.

Rage soon replaced his pain, his face contouring into a look of fury. If he couldn't have Maka, then no one, not even Kid could have her.

Silent as he could, Soul slipped from the house and headed toward Kid's. He was determined to fight Kid for Maka. It had been a while since he and Black⭐Star had faced Kid in the fight at the DWMA. Soul had gotten much stronger from then and knew he had a good chance now.

He found Kid, not in his house, but walking the Death City streets, a thoughtful look on his pale face. Kid didn't even realize Sould was there until Soul was right in front of him.

"Soul, what are you--"

Before Kid could even finish his sentence, Soul's fist flashed up and hit his right cheek. Kid's head snapped the other way, his eyes wide with shock. He didn't move, his eyes on Soul's angry red ones. Soul was so mad that his clenched fists trembled. He could hardly feel the pain in his knuckles where they made impact.

"I don't even have words to say to you," Soul growled harshly. He raised his fist to strike again but found he couldn't, that his fist would move no farther.

"Soul, I know your mad," Kid said calmly, his head finally moving back. He seemed to know then that Soul knew about him and Maka.

"I am beyond mad, I am furious. How dare you think you can steal my Maka away from me?" he demanded.

"She wasn't yours in the first place, Soul," Kid responded calmly. "She fell for me on her own."

"No," Soul growled. "Maka is my partner, she belongs with me. Then you come along and try to take her from me. I'll kill you before that will happen!"

"Soul, calm down and stop this nonsense."

"Why should I? You're trying to take Maka from me."

"Soul--"

"Shut up, Kid," Soul surged forward and slammed Kid into the wall of a shop to one side of the street. "Stay away from Maka, if you don't, I'll kill you."

Soul stepped away and left Kid against the wall in shock. He didn't even move, the words of Soul's threat still ringing in his ears.