Part One - Saved

She had fought many hard fights, but she never expected this much! Despite her efforts she was pushed farther back, struggling to wield Soul against the kishin's attacks.

"Maka, focus!" Soul told her, his face reflecting in the blade as Maka panted. "We can't let this thing defeat us!"

"Don't you think I know that?" she said angrily to her white haired partner.

He clenched his teeth in the reflection and glared slightly with his red eyes before vanishing.

The kishin had crimson red fur blotted throughout his body, a morphed Werewolf kishin with saliva dripping from its fangs. The kishin was bigger than many she fought. Her usually strong skills seemed weak in front of him. He advanced, the ground groaning as he stepped forward.

She stepped back ready to attack but instead hit a crumbling wall that the kishin had previously smashed through.

She couldn't think, her mind bogged for some unknown reason.

"Maka!" Soul yelled when the beast jumped to kill her.

She yelled slightly and closed her eyes, putting up her weapon as a slight defense, knowing it probably wasn't enough. She waited for the pain but it never came, instead there was a growl, a yelp and a thump.

She opened her eyes and gasped, a dark clad figured in front of her with two pistols raised at the kishin who was slowly getting up from where it was thrown.

"Maka, are you alright?" Kid asked. He looked at her for a few seconds, concern lighting in his amber eyes.

"I'm fine," she said, getting into attack position to call on soul resinence and Witch Hunter in hopes to defeat the kishin. But as she went to attack, Kid's arm went out, stopping her.

"No, you'll only get yourself hurt," he said. "This kishin has the ability to dilute people's minds. That's why you haven't been at your best. I'm not exactly human, so let me handle this one."

She huffed and then stepped back, still holding Soul at the ready just in case she needed to help.

"Liz, Patty, let's go!" Kid yelled, the kishin snarling and lunging to the fight.

Kid yelled and charged at the kishin, firing at its head with his pistols. The kishin reared up, its large paws going to crash on top of Kid when he jumped away. The paws crashed to the ground and broke through the concrete. Maka didn't even notice that Kid had called upon his Death Cannons until two yellow balls of light fired onto the beast's head. It reared up in fury with a dying snarl and crashed to the floor. It disintegrated and a kishin egg appeared in its place.

Kid stayed where he was, Liz and Patty transformed back and cheered and high fived. Soul transformed back as well and looked over Maka who stood almost in shock.

"Are you okay, Maka? Talk to me!" he yelled at her, shaking her shoulders.

Kid's head snapped to look at Maka before he ran over to her.

"Maka, what's wrong?" he asked rushed.

She stood there for a second when suddenly she passed out. Kid was close enough to catch her before she hit the ground. Soul jumped to help Kid keep her up. Her cloak dragging in the dirt

"Liz, Patty, run back to the DWMA and get Dr. Stein to come help Maka. Soul, help me carry her back to the Academy."

Liz and Patty did as Kid said, running back toward the Academy while Kid and Soul carried Maka back.

Soul looked concerned back not more than Kid was. He couldn't understand his need to protect her, but he worried what would happen if he doesn't get her back to the Academy soon.

"What did that thing do?" Soul asked angrily as they trudged up the stairs toward the Academy.

"I think its wavelengths might have affected Maka. Dr. Stein should know how to help."

About half way to the Academy, Dr. Stein came rushing down the stairs with Liz, Patty, Black⭐Star, and Tsubaki on his trail.

Kid and Soul carefully gave Maka over to Dr. Stein, the gray haired doctor looking her over quickly.

"Oh no!" Tsubaki gasped.

Black⭐Star growled as if he could see the one who did it.

"She will be okay as soon as we can get her back to the Academy and quick."

They all went to action, getting her up the stairs toward the Academy. Kid however stayed where he was.

He just continued to watch them all until they disappeared. He felt funny, a bad feeling settling into his stomach. If something happened to her, he didn't know what he would do. Why did he feel this way? he wondered. He knew he had to stay with her, he had to make sure she was okay. That was all that he could think about then. Not even symmetry mattered now.