Chapter 11: S-Class Exam, Part 3

~NORMAL POV~

Wendy, Romeo, Natsu, Lucy, Gray, and Juvia waved goodbye to the two pairs as the boat that carried them floated away towards their guild. They all followed the boat with their gaze, and when it was out of sight the three remaining pairs turned to Master. He said in his old, husky voice, "Alright, we're already down to three pairs. Our second to the last part of the exam is called 'Underwater Escapade'."

Juvia immediately emanated an aura of excitement and clapped her hands. "Underwater! Juvia will surely win this...for Gray-sama!"

"Yes, alright...In Underwater Escapade, I will be throwing these locket..." He raises two metal pendants with the Fairy Tail insignia on them. "...as far as I can out into the ocean, and all of you will dive into the water to find one of them."

Wendy raised her hand. "Once we've retrieved only one...we can go back to shore?"

"Yes. You may only get one locket."

Gray questioned, "Can we use our powers?"

"Yes, you may. The first two pair to obtain the lockets wins."

Lucy asked, "W-What about oxygen?"

Master smiled. "Regarding oxygen, well...That part's up to you. Underwater Escapade will not stop until someone successfully retrieves the locket." Short, silent gasps escaped their mouths. "Okay, then...No more questions? Good. Underwater Escapade starts..." Master threw the two locket into the sea with impressive force and the others followed it with their eyes in awe. "...NOW!"

In a blink of an eye, all three pairs had dove into the water and were swimming as fast as they can, their bodies completely submerged. Romeo and Wendy checked between the shells and in coral reefs for at least one of the pendants. Romeo started to swim upwards and Wendy followed. They were finally able to catch their breaths. Romeo shook his head and said, discouraged, "I can't do it...The pressure down there, it's...it's..." Wendy placed a hand on his face. "Calm down, Romeo! Listen...let me..." She closed her eyes. "Breath Recovery!"

Both of them suddenly felt air well up inside of them. As if they could breathe underwater. Romeo noticed that a dome of, seemingly, glass surrounded both his and his girlfriend's heads. Wendy smiled. "Let's go!" With that, they dove back in and proceeded to look for the locket. Their breath didn't run out as fast and their nerves were relaxed. Wendy swam further out into the ocean and something glimmering in the sunlight caught her eye.

She frantically waved her hands to call Romeo's attention. "Romeo! Over here!" Just as they were about to grab it, a blade of water hit both of them and sent them flying. They glanced at the source of the attack and saw that it was Juvia and Gray. Juvia had a playful smirk on her face. Romeo and Wendy by this time had both observed that Juvia had cast a spell on Gray and herself that allows them to breathe underwater.

Wendy wasted no time and cast Vernier on both of them, then attacked. "Sky Dragon's Roar!" The gigantic wake of air hit both of their opponents. "Gray-sama, go and take the pendant. Juvia will take care of them." Gray nodded and charged for the locket. Romeo instinctively did the same, leaving Wendy and Juvia alone to battle. Juvia said intensely, "Juvia will not allow Wendy-san to win...Juvia will make sure that Gray-sama gets the pendant first!"

Wendy, wanting to get it over with, attacked once again. This time, physically, not with magic. She kicked and punched Juvia in different areas with predatory skills. Juvia screamed in pain at Wendy's impressive force and speed. Despite her several bruises, Juvia stlil had the strength to fight her opponent. "Water Cane!" Juvia's one arm completely transforms into water and she whips it at Wendy.

She howls in pain at the pressure Juvia's Water Cane caused her. Juvia then wraps her Water Cane around Wendy's body, restraining her. Wendy struggled against it, but failed. Juvia smirked. "Power of the stout arms that tears the heavens...Arms!" Wendy immediately broke free of Juvia's Water Cane with ease thanks to the power Arms granted her. Juvia blinked in shock.

Meanwhile, Romeo and Gray are also having a gruesome battle over the pendant. both sides equal. Romeo used his last bit of magic power and energy on his last attack. "Rainbow Fire: Flaming Burst!" He threw a massive, multi-colored ball of fire towards his already worn-out opponent and Gray finally lost consciousness. Romeo wasted no time and quickly snatched the locket.

He then swam over to where he left Wendy. "Wendy! Let's go, I've got the locket!" Wendy nodded and followed behind Romeo as they swam back to shore. Juvia exclaimed worriedly, "What?! W-Where's Gray-sama?!" Romeo pointed to an area and Juvia quickly pulled Gray to shore. When Romeo and Wendy arrived, Natsu and Lucy were already there, the other pendant in hand. Gray and Juvia followed behind. When Master saw Romeo carrying the locket he smiled in satisfaction. "Ah, finally." Natsu flashed Romeo and Wendy a toothy smile and a thumbs-up. "Congratulations to Natsu and Romeo! Our last event will take place right after lunch. Right now, please proceed to Base Camp, all of you."