Chapter 8: Excitement and Preparation

~NORMAL POV~

"So, I'm happy to announce that the S-Class Exam will take place on Tenroujima Island first thing tomorrow!" Master said. Romeo and Wendy sat down on the tables, filled with excitement. "Oh, I almost forgot! There are five people who made it this year...are..." Everyone leaned in closer in anxiety. "Natsu Dragneel, Gajeel Redfox, Elfman Strauss, Gray Fullbuster, and Romeo Conbolt! These people may choose one person to serve as their partner when taking the exam. Good luck to all, and see you tomorrow!" The girls started groaning in dismay. "Aw! All boys?" Romeo raised his fist. "Yes! Finally! I've been waiting so many years for this!"

"Congratulations, Romeo!" Wendy exclaimed, hugging him tight.

"Thanks, Wendy. Be my partner?"

"Are you sure you want me to be your partner? I don't want to hold you back..."

"You won't hold me back, Wen. In fact, you're going to be the girl who gives be strength while I'm taking the exam."

Wendy kisses Romeo on the cheek. "Hm...Sure, Romeo, I'll be your partner."

"Great! I'm going to win, for sure!"

Wendy giggled. "If you want to win, we'll have to train." She then starts pulling him outside the guild and onto the beach.

"What? We're training here?"

"YYYYep! There's nothing much to destroy here, so I thought this was an ideal place to practice."

"Good thinking, Wen. Okay, let's start..." Romeo and Wendy get into their fighting stance. "W-Wait! I'm not going to fight you! I don't want to hurt my girlfriend!"

Wendy pouted. "Oh, so that's how it is. Romeo Conbolt is weak and afraid when it comes to fighting his girlfriend!"

Romeo clenched his fists and raised his voice. "It's not like that, Wen!"

"Then attack me! Scaredy-cat!" That was it.

Romeo was pissed. He immediately charged at Wendy with both fists engulfed in flames. Oh, crap. He's serious! Wendy thought to herself as Romeo aimed a punch at her. Wendy defended against it using her Wind Dome. A sphere of fast-moving air surrounded her and blocked Romeo's punch. "Blue Fire!" Romeo used his cold fire attack against Wendy, and it hits her on the arm with a barely audible 'whoosh'. Wendy touches her arm, which had an icy blue hue due to the fire. "...C-Cold..." Romeo smirked. "Had enough, Wen?!" Wendy immediately regained composure and said, "No! I will fight! Sky Dragon's Roar!" A tornado of wind drilled through the air and sent Romeo flying.

He supported his weight with one hand and knee. "Impressive, Wen...My turn! Purple Fire!" Romeo sent two balls of purple flying towards Wendy with cat-like speed. The fire stuck to Wendy's legs, causing her to collapse. "Ow! It's hot!" Wendy struggled for a few seconds, but then swished her arms across the fire, which quickly disappeared. Romeo blinked. "What did you do?!"

Wendy smirked and got ready to fight again. "I took away the oxygen."

"Took away the oxygen?"

"That's right. No oxygen...no fire." Wendy jumped high up in the air. "Sky Dragon's Claw!" Large winds were unleashed and Romeo was directly hit. When the smoke cleared, there was a small crater and Romeo had multiple bruises. "Sorry about that, sweetie. Are you hurt?" Romeo wiped his face with his arm. "I'm...fine...Just fine, babe...But you've gotten stronger..."

Wendy put a hand on her hips. "You're right about that."

"Now, I know...This is the only way to defeat you!" Romeo lunged himself towards Wendy with Yellow Fire, causing both of them to fall. He held the yelow fire close to her face, and Wendy covered her nose and tried to slip away. "Kyaaa! Romeo, no, stop! Not the yellow fire!" Wendy struggled and wriggled, but Romeo pinned her down. "Sky Dragon's Crushing Fang!" Wendy raked Romeo with her claws and leaves a wake of wind behind as she does so, extinguishing the fire and making her able to pin him down. She smiled and says sweetly, "I win."

Romeo groans and they both sit up. "You just got lucky, Wendy."

"Oh, really? Looks to me as if you were already going all out."

"Eh, whatever...Ouch!" Romeo flinched in pain as Wendy leaned on his shoulder.

She suddenly remembers all his injuries. "Oh my gosh, I totally forgot! Romeo, I'm so sorry!"

Romeo chuckled. "Um...it's okay, Wendy."

"No, it's not. Let me heal you...Take off your vest." Romeo slightly blushed at her sudden request, but obeyed. Wendy gently placed her hands on his bare chest and closed her eyes. "Sky Dragon's Healing Spell."

A bright, bluish light illuminated and when it died down, Romeo's injuries were all treated and he could move around with ease. "Wow! Cool, I'm all better! Your healing magic can be really useful when fighting opponents, Wen!"

Wendy flashed him a weak smile, and he realized that she was in pain too. She had a few burns that resulted from his attacks earlier. "Thank...you..."

"Hey." Romeo lightly placed a hand on her shoulder. "Why don't you heal yourself?"

"I can't heal myself..."

"Oh...Well, why don't we go to that Sky God Slayer named Chelia? She can heal you."

"...Don't you think we'll bother them?"

"Of course not. Come on, let's get you patched up." Romeo slung Wendy's arm over his shoulder and let her lean on him for support until they arrived at Lamia Scale. Romeo knocked on the door a few times. Moments later, Chelia answered it and smlied politely. "Hello, Romeo! Do you need to see anyone?"

"Yes. You."

"Oh. Um...okay, then..." Chelia closed the door behind her and faced them once again. "What happened to Wendy?" She asked worriedly when she noticed the pain she was in.

"Well, she got hurt while we were training for the S-Class Exam...She healed me, but she couldn't heal herself, so I brought her to you. So, could you please...heal Wendy?"

"Of course! Anything for a friend!" Chelia raised a hand and touched Wendy. She seemed very concentrated on curing her friend's injuries and wounds. "Sky God's Healing Spell." Immediately Wendy was healed and her burns had now disappeared. Romeo slowly removed her from support and asked, "Are you okay now, Wen?" Wendy nodded and replied, "Yes." She turned to Chelia and slightly bowed. "Thank you for healing me, Chelia!" Chelia winked. "No problem, Wendy. Oh, I have to go! I think I heard Sherry calling me. Bye, Romeo! Bye, Wendy!" They all waved goodbye to each other and Romeo and Wendy walked back to the guild. Romeo remarked, "I am so going to become an S-Class Mage! I know it!" Wendy smiled as she clung to her boyfriend's arm.