Chapter 10: S-Class Exam, Part 2

~NORMAL POV~

After the Monster Maze, the four pairs gathered together in Base Camp, where all of them treated their injuries...well, all except for Natsu and Lucy. "Why did all of them get to fight the monsters when all we did was walk around the maze like some idiots?!" Natsu exclaimed, fuming. You could practically see the smoke coming from his ears as he crossed his arms across his chest like a little chlld. Lucy squeezed his shoulders and tried to comfort him. "Natsu, you should be thankful that we were the first to finish, sweeheart." But Natsu just grumbled.

He wasn't the only one who was complaining. Elfman could hardly hold back his tears upon hearing the bad news. He muttered tearfully, "A M-Man...d-doesn't...c-cry!" Ever, although smiling at how he was acting, rolled her eyes. "Come on, Elfman, it's not that bad. You get to go back to the guild early and see your sisters again while the others work their asses off." Elfman sniffed. "Well, yeah, I guess so..."

Wendy had her hands gently placed on her boyfriend's bare torso, concentrating on healing his injuries and wounds. She was flinching from time to time and had her eyes firmly closed. Finally, she slowly relaxed her arms and her eyes fluttered open. She wiped the beads of sweat forming on her forehead and flashed Romeo a tiny smile. "Finished..." Romeo sat up and put on his shirt. "Thanks, Wen."

Meanwhile, Gajeel and Levy were busy not regaining their strength, but training somewhere else. Levy rubbed her temples. "Gajeel...Can't we rest?" She said, panting and trying to catch her breath. "I'm...dead...tired! The...others...are already...at base camp..." But her boyfriend thought otherwise and protested. "Come on, bookworm..." He walked over to her and playfully ruffled her hair. "We barely made it last time. We need to toughen up and increase our magic." Levy pouted and said in a louder voice, "If we keep overworking ourselves like this, we'll end up dead before the next event even starts!"

~BACK AT BASE CAMP~

"Brats!" Makarov came up behind the four pairs of mages. "The next event starts tonight, at 7PM!"

Wendy tilted her head a little. "Eh? Why at night?"

"It saves time. You should consider yourselves lucky. This is a very, very easy task. We will be camping out in the far end of the island and measuring your magic power."

Natsu interjected, "Measuring our magic power? You mean like in the Grand Magic Games?"

"Yes, quite. We will be using the same machine. In fact, it's already waiting for us. I'm just letting you save up your magic power. The procedure is the same. Only this time, you and your partner will launch attacks at the machine at the same time so we could measure your magic combined." Master looked around and raised an eyebrow. "Hm? Where are Gajeel and Levy?"

Lucy chimed in. "We don't know yet, Master. After you announced the results of the first exam earlier they just went off by themselves."

"Hm...Well, when you see them, tell them about the second event, yes?" Lucy nodded. "Good. I'll be at the east side of the island, on the beach if you need me."

 ~LATER THAT NIGHT, 7PM~

The eight mages were walking towards the east side of the island, chatting with each other and laughing. When, all of a sudden, they hear the rustle of leaves. Then, a twig snapping. Everyone forms a circle, their backs to each other. "There!" Elfman suddenly said and instinctively threw a rock at two shadows. Ever looked at him with her mouth slightly open. "A rock? Really?" Elfman scratched the back of his head, humiliated.

"Hey! W-What's the big idea, huh?!" A familiar feminine voice sounded and later, Gajeel and Levy emerged from the trees. Levy was rubbing a bluish-purple part of her head, while Gajeel was checking on her worriedly.

He snapped, "Elfman, you bastard! You hurt my girlfriend!" Wendy couldn't help but grin at Gajeel's overprotectiveness.

Levy tried to calm him down. "Gajeel, I'm fine...Just a little bruise..."

"Little?! It is not little, Levy! It--" Levy raised a finger to Gajeel's lips and looked at him, a signal for him to just stay quiet. He sighed in defeat and slowly put Levy's hand down. He turned to the others.  "So, where we going?"

Wendy answered his question. "To the east beach. We're going to measure our magic power there, it's the second part of the S-Class Exam."

"Measure our magic power? Like what we did in GMMs?"

Wendy nodded. "Yep. I hope you two didn't use all of your magic during training...You should've stayed at Base Camp and rested."

Levy hit Gajeel on the head, irritated. "See?! I told you we should've saved our magic power! Now we'll never pass the second part of the exam!" Gajeel just looked away. "You know what? Whatever, let's just go already and get this over with."

Levy and Gajeel's comrades unsuccessfully tried to stifle giggles. Lucy said, "Okay, okay, come on then. Master is already waiting for us." With that, she led her friends towards the beach. Once they had arrived, they gathered around the Magic-Measurer (I dunno what it's called xD ). Master said, "Good. You're here. So, I don't have to explain what to do. You already know the procedure. Who wants to go first?" Levy raised her hand and dragged Gajeel to the center of the circle. "We'll go first." Master nodded and gestured for the others to stay back. "Very well. The other pairs, please step back and don't get in their way."

Levy sighed and nodded at Gajeel. "Solid Script: Storm!". Gajeel did the same and gave off his strongest attack. "Iron Dragon's Roar!" Once they had launched their attacks, a score appeared. 800. Levy and Gajeel just quietly sat down, ashamed of their score. Master cleared his throat. "Um...next! Gray, Juvia, come here please."

The two obeyed. "Water Slicer!"
"Ice Make: Ice Impact!"
Their score was 4875.

Next was Natsu and Lucy. "Gate of the Scorpion, I open thee! Scorpio, use your Sand Buster!"
"Crimson Lotus: Fire Dragon's Fist!"
Natsu and Lucy achieved a score of 7935.

"And finally...Wendy and Romeo!" Wendy gulped nervously. Romeo put a hand on her shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile. Wendy returned the smile and nodded. "Right! Let's go!"
"Rainbow Fire: Exploding Sundance!"
"Sky Dragon Slayer's Secret Art! Shattering Light: Sky Drill!"
Wendy and Romeo glanced at their score, and breathed a sigh of relief. 5000.

Master announced the results. "Well, congratulations to all. Natsu, Romeo, and Gray are still running for Fairy Tail's next S-Class Mage! The other two pairs shall take the ship home first thing tomorrow."