Chapter 13: What If?

~ROMEO'S POV~

I felt scared. I was scared that Wendy might be gone forever. I could hear my heart beating wildly as I frantically made my way down the cliff and ran over to the river where Wendy had fallen in. Had she been carried away by the current? "Wendy! Wendy!" Seconds later Natsu, Lucy, and Master appeared in the scene. It seemed that Natsu-san and Lucy-san were too guilty to say anything at all. Just then, I spotted Wendy's distinctive dark blue hair. She had her arms weakly wrapped around a large rock.

"Wendy!" I instinctively dove into the rushing water and swam towards her direction, fighting against the strong current. "I'm...I'm coming, Wen!"

~WENDY'S POV~

"I'm coming, Wen!" I heard the faint sound of a masculine voice. I could hardly hold onto the rock and keep my eyes open. Then I saw a blur of dark purple hair, and porcelain skin. I groaned weakly as my hands started to slip away from the rock. But just as I let go, a strong hand grabbed mine, preventing me from being carried away. I looked at the man who had saved me. But I wasn't able to recognize him, because my eyes had fluttered close.

~TIMESKIP: IN THE GUILD INFIRMARY ; NORMAL POV~

Romeo quietly sat down beside the bed where Wendy lied. Across him was Natsu, together with Lucy. Lucy said, "Romeo...I'm so sorry, this is our fault...We went too far..."

Romeo avoided eye contact. Perhaps he did resent them for a while, but..."No, guys...It's..." He took a deep breath. "I don't give a damn whose fault it is. I just want Wendy back." Tears threatened to fall from his eyes, but he quickly blinked them away. Romeo said, his voice shaking, "I think you guys should leave..." Natsu and Lucy submitted and walked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

Romeo just stared at the girl's face, waiting for her to awaken. Finally, she let out a soft moan and her eyes slowly opened. She sat up and examined her surroundings cautiously. Romeo was immediately filled with ecstasy. "Wendy! Thank goodness you're alright!" He tried to wrap his arms around her, but she awkwardly pushed him away. "Um...Romeo...W-What are you doing...?"

Romeo gasped. "Uh...hugging you?"

Wendy blinked, and her face suddenly turned red. "Hugging me? W-Why would you b-be hugging me?"

Romeo was caught off guard. He gently took Wendy's hand. "Um, er...Because I'm happy you're back?"

"Where did I go?"

"Wendy, you fell over a waterfall just yesterday and you're telling me you don't remember?"

The clueless girl gasped upon hearing this. "I fell over a waterfall?!" Her hand landed on the wound she got from the accident, she had hit her head.

It took a while, but Romeo finally understood what was going on. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "O...kay...Y-You...You wait right here, Wen...I'll...be right back..."

Romeo walked out of the door and went straight to Master. He whispered, "Master, we have a very, very big problem...Wendy, she...she lost her memory..."

Master flinched. He said in a low voice, "You're telling me that the accident caused her to lose her memory?"

"Uh...yes..."

He took a deep breath. "Does she remember anything? Anything at all?"

"Yes. She remembers me, my name. And if she remembers me, that means she remembers our guild. But...When I tried to hug her, she pushed me away..."

"I'm sorry, Romeo..."

"She forgot about our relationship...She forgot about us..." He said with a regretful expression on his face. "Master, what do we do?"

"There's nothing much we can do. But about the S-Class Exam..." Master then stood up on the counter and called everyone's attention. "Listen up! Now you all know about the, um...setbacks we have encountered regarding the S-Class Exam..." Everyone nodded. "...And I'm happy to announce that our new S-Class Mage...is..."

Natsu interrupted him before he could finish. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Isn't there anything, like, a contest? You know, to decide between me and Romeo? Anything?"

"Sorry, Natsu. Now, as I was saying...Our new S-Class Mage...is Romeo Conbolt! Now, we might have not seen the results of our final event for the exam, but Romeo was the one who showed care, love, courage, and bravery when he dove into the fast-running water of the river and saved Wendy. Without him, Wendy would not be here." Everyone clapped, including Natsu. Sure, he was disappointed that Romeo got to be an S-Class before him. But he had learned how to accept failure, through the help of Lucy.

"But....There's been a complication." The claps died down. "Unfortunately...Wendy lost a piece of her memory...She still remembers some stuff, like our guild, and your names, maybe...But we're not sure if she remembers her powers. What we do know...Is that she forgot about what she has with Romeo." Short gasps were heard as Romeo looked down on the ground.

Romeo just couldn't help but think...What if Wendy never becomes his again? What if she'll never remember their relationship?