Chapter Forty Seven

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Hindi iyon ang sukatan ng pagmamahal."

"Then what is, Tristan?!" My voice raised. "Paano mo ba sinusukat ang pagmamahal mo kay Andi? You left her... iniwan mo si Andi noon, hindi ba? You could've asked for our help, Tristan. Do you want me to leave Axel too? Iyon ba ang gusto mong mangyari? At pagkatapos ano? Kapag nakahanap siya ng iba, saka ako hahabol sa kanya kung kailan huli na? I don't want to be a desperate, miserable mess like you."

He lowered his eyes to the ground, pain evident in his eyes.

My jaw dropped open at the realization of all the things I've said. "I... Tristan, I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean what I said..."

His face dropped even more. He stood from his seat and walked away. I had hurt his already aching feelings. It was such a bitchy move. Ngayon pa kung kailan nanganganib ang buhay ng babaeng mahal niya at ng anak niya. I knew he only meant well but those horrible things I said to him was unforgivable

.After a few minutes of waiting there and regretting every word I said to Tristan, the doctor went out of the emergency room. Sakto naman bumalik si Tristan. His eyes were red from crying and I felt so bad.

He asked the doctor if Andi was okay and the doctor said they closed her cervix and successfully stopped the bleeding but they still have to get some test to find out if the fetus was still there. Tristan looked devastated as ever when he heard what the doctor said about the baby. Pinapasok siya ng doktor sa loob ng kwarto para makita si Andi at naghintay ako sa labas. It only took a few minutes for him to come out of the room, his eyes redder and puffier than before.

"How is she?" Tanong ko ng makalabas siya.

"Ikaw muna ang bahala kay Andi. I already called her cousin, Phoenix, his on his way. Please don't leave her." Sabi niya at nagmamadaling tumalikod sa akin.

"Saan ka pupunta?" I asked but he ignored me. Little did I know, that would be our last conversation for a long time.

Axel's POV

I held the cold pack to my bruised jaw after taking a shower and cleaning the blood and bruises on my face. I winced and groaned when it touched my bruise. My face was awfully painful. If it weren't for Valerie, I would of fought back. Pero alam kong ako ang mali dito. I deserved this.

I needed to fix things between us and Tristan. If I had to get punched everyday, I would gladly accept those punches if that meant he'd forgive me and let me be with Valerie. Those weeks when Valerie went back to the hacienda and left me here was the worst thing I had ever experienced. Mas gugustuhin kong maging punching bag ni Tristan kaysa malayo sa akin si Valerie.

I turned on the tv to kill time but my mind wandered on Valerie again. I was planning on asking Jaime for her hand in marriage, you know the old style way, the way he wanted. I called my parents and told them about it. Charlotte was excited. Pagkatapos kong dalhin noon si Val sa mansyon para ipakilala sa kanila, she would invite Valerie out for lunch or go shopping with her without me knowing. I only found out about it when I got home from a late night meeting and mom was in my unit, she was teaching Valerie to make one of my favorite food, bouillabaisse. She adored Valerie, she said she was the daughter she never had. And Augusto being the logical man he was, said I should think about it but after Charlotte convinced her that Valerie would make a good daughter-in-law he just went with it and let my mother have her way.

The phone rang and I reached for it on the coffee table. Phoenix's name was on the screen.

"Hey, what's up?" I said when I answered the phone.