Regular Girl

When I woke up from my nap, I could hear the sound of my parents finishing up dinner. The scents wafted into my room. It took me a while to craft the answer, but I got it. Chicken Bacon Tomato Alfredo, my favorite! I booked it to the kitchen, and set the table faster so I could gobble my food. 

"Slow down, sweet cheeks", my dad said, smiling from his mouth to his eyes. No question my dad was a handsome man. My mom, is a beauty as well. She bestowed my coffee skin and dark chocolate hair, but I think she wears it better. The little makeup she applies makes her look like a goddess. I can't believe she is my mother, but I am reminded when I look in the mirror,  and see her bright turquoise eyes clashing with my frizzy hair. We sat down to eat at our rickety table. 

"So how was your day sweetie?" my mom asked. The sparks at my fingertips came back as I thought of Eli.

"Oh nothing much,  just received a detention", I mumbled. 

"Detention?" my father asked testily. 

"Oh, um, yeah! I dropped my books down the second stairwell, and was sorta late to World History."

"Oh Arabella, those two left feet," my mom joked. Lenient as she was, she silently implied that I would go to detention. I took my first bite.  My mom makes the alfredo sauce from scratch. It was decadent.

   My parents food had a way of transporting you places. Literally. It was effortless, so it didn't break rule #2. The scene shifted, and we were in Italy, sitting at an intricate cast iron table. The scent of bread baking in a hot oven filled the air. Italian music echoed through the streets. My mom took my dad's hand. 

"Just like old times," he whispered, as she gazed into his gray eyes.

That is what I wanted, what Eli couldn't, or perhaps wouldn't give me, just because I wasn't as pretty as the rest.