20: A Close Call

CHAPTER TWENTY ❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

            DANA DOSED ON HER HAND FOR most of their double helping of Potions the following day, careful to avoid the watchful eye of her least favourite professor. They sat on their usual grouped tables, taking in the monotonous tone of Snape's voice as he explained the steps for making a Dreamless Sleep Potion to the class.

Plumes of smoke rose from the purple concoction in front of her, filling the surrounding air. At one point, she was half convinced she'd inhaled too many of its pungent fumes, feeling herself beginning to drift off yet again. At this, Snape promptly whacked her over the crown of the head with a piece of parchment.

She blew a strand of hair out of her face in irritation, debating how many points she might get if she was to hit him across the head with her copy of Advanced Potion-Making. She soon decided against it. As much as Dana couldn't stand him, part of her didn't actually mind their back and forth hatred for one another.

Well, when he wasn't being a complete twat at least.

At the end of the two hours, they escaped the bitterness of the dungeons and hurried outside.

"But he's dangerous, Dana! What was Dumbledore thinking hiring a werewolf at Hogwarts?"

Lilith stood across from her outside by Hagrid's Hut during their Care of Magical Creatures lesson, having already expressed her concerns on the matter several times that week. The blinding winter sun shone down upon the sturdy grey Hippogriff placed in between them and everyone was relieved that Hagrid had finally let them move on from tending to the deathly Blast-Ended Skrewts.

Given that the rest of the class were now petrified of Buckbeak, Dana opted to work on him.

"What do you think Wolfsbane's for exactly? Getting high?" said Dana in exasperation as Buckbeak stole three whole ferrets from the belt knotted around her waist.

Like many, Lilith had been fed the age old view that werewolves were dangerous and unpredictable beings at all times. It wasn't like Dana could blame her for being skeptical, but given that her own father was now a werewolf, she had hoped it would have knocked some sense into her by now. Or at least that she might have thought to educate herself on the subject a bit more.

If anything, it only made Dana more grateful that Amos was one of the few good wizards in his department who actually pushed against the prejudices involved and brought up herself and Cedric to know better.

Lilith continued on as though Dana hadn't said a word, "I like Lupin, don't get me wrong! He's by far the best Defence teacher we've ever had. I just have an off feeling about this, Dana— as though something bad might happen."