03: A Familiar Face

CHAPTER THREE❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER THREE
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

     A LINE OF RICH ORANGE SUNLIGHT settled itself along the tops of the trees over the Forbidden Forest, making them appear to be on fire at first glance when Dana looked out of the dormitory window at six o'clock in the morning. She paused for a moment, watching the sun rise into the pale purple sky, turning it soft and pink as it rose higher.

As planned, she got up at the crack of dawn and silently changed into her school robes, lacing up her favourite black boots which were scuffed from top to bottom after a summer of using them to play Quidditch with Cedric. Her mother attempted to throw them out last week but little did she know Dana had retrieved them and stowed them into the bottom of her trunk.

She had never known it to be so quiet in the Great Hall as she arrived down there for breakfast. It would seem that she was the first and only student up in the entire castle. Yet apparently, she was not the only person who wanted to avoid the busy morning panic.

At the very top of the staff table, Professor McGonagall was enjoying an overly large bowl of cornflakes whilst browsing over this morning's addition of the Daily Prophet.

Dana scoffed down two plates of eggs on toast before deciding to make use of her extra time by finishing the Charms essay she had failed to complete over the holidays. It wasn't her finest moment, she had to admit, and she headed up to the library before first period.

Dana trotted up the staircase, fumbling around with the heavy books and loose homework all balancing in the crook of her arm when she stumbled headfirst into something very hard and stiff.

With a sweep of shock, and the feeling of strong hands gripping the sides of her arms, she was more than prepared to shout abuse at the figure for almost having knocked her clean over. It was not until she glanced up and met a pair of delicate green eyes that the anger soon slipped away just as the books had done. Of all people, she had gone head first into Professor Lupin.

"Oh, crap." Dana muttered at the sight of the smashed ink and parchment littering the flagstone floor.

He let his hands slip off her elbows and straightened up, an ever so slight smirk evident on his mouth in regards to her poor choice of words.

"Not to worry, Miss...?"

"Diggory. Dana Diggory." she stated warily, looking him right in the eye now. His face lifted in acknowledgment.

"Miss Diggory, you say. Well, I suppose I'm not the only one up to catch breakfast before the eight o'clock student rush. Don't worry," he added. "I'm not much of a morning person either."

He said the name with an air of familiarity but Dana chose to overlook it. Besides, was he seriously calling her clumsy? Maybe she wouldn't have knocked into him if he wasn't such a bloody tree.