17: Misery

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

THE STUDENTS OF HOGWARTS returned back to school a few days later, and the festive atmosphere gradually died out once more. On a brighter note, the usual routine plans for New Year's Eve were in full swing which brought them at least something to look forward to. Until then, many spent the remaining days of freedom messing around in their common rooms or meandering around the castle until they were forced to settle back into their lessons the following Monday.

"You reckon we were actually supposed to do that report on Curse-Breaking?" Patrick goggled as they moseyed on up to the library on Saturday morning.

Back in Ireland, Paddy had apparently spent his holidays avoiding studying at all costs, meaning the only fun they would be having today was cramming in last minute homework.

"I'm kind of betting on it." Dana replied, scuffing her new lace up boots against the cobblestone floor.

Beside them, Lilith tugged on her lip, looking fretful as they walked past the statue of Boris the Bewildered. It wasn't the first time Dana had noticed her acting jittery since their return, but it was hardly unreasonable. There had been a full moon at some point over the holidays, meaning it was the first time Lilith had been home during one of her dad's transformations. It sounded excruciating just to hear, let alone go through.

When Paddy came to a random halt in the middle of the corridor, Dana stumbled into the back of him, cursing. It wasn't until she realised the three of them were being blocked by a tall figure that she shut up.

Lupin stood just inches before her.

"Miss Diggory, would you mind if I stole you for a word in my classroom?" he requested, trying to act casual in front of the two others.

Dana was quite sure that whatever this was going to be about, it certainly wasn't defensive strategies. Hesitant at first, she obliged.

"You guys go on, I'll meet you once I'm done." she told them, stepping forward. Lilith, however, was quick to grip her arm, a wary look plastered over her face.

"We should probably get going, don't you think?" Lilith murmured to her, eyeing the professor cautiously. "Library gets pretty busy at this time of day."

Dana wondered what the hell had gotten into her. Either she was extremely keen to read up on complex counter-curses, or something about Lupin's presence wasn't sitting well with her.

"I'll refrain from boring her for too long, Miss Williams. She's in good hands." he assured her kindly, but this didn't seem to ease her conscience.

"It's all good, Lil. I'll see you soon." said Dana, and she and Patrick eventually ambled off to the moving staircases.

Now alone, Dana glanced up to Lupin, the two of them taking a slow stroll along the corridor.

"How've you been?" he asked at last.