07: Halloween at the Three Broomsticks

CHAPTER SEVEN❊❊❊❊❊❊❊_____________________________________

CHAPTER SEVEN
❊❊❊❊❊❊❊
_____________________________________

      THE CRISP LATE OCTOBER WEATHER had hit Hogwarts with little warning, causing everyone to wrap up in their warmest wooly hats, scarves and gloves. Fortunately, the Hogsmeade trip was fast approaching and the spirits of all those who had the pleasure of getting out of the school grounds for a fine Saturday in the village were lifted greatly.

As the week dragged on, it was all Dana could focus on in order to have something to look forward to. Professor Lupin still hadn't returned to his classes and she was surprised by how aware of his absence she had become.

Worst of all, Snape's lesson covers had been just as terrible as predicted. He was driving them all to the brink of insanity, setting two essays within the space of three days. It was common knowledge that Snape had always longed for the Dark Arts post and positively despised the unlucky soul who took it on each year. Dana had often caught him glaring at Lupin fiercely on occasion, but was led to believe there was more to it than just occupational envy. Either way, Snape asserted his power to the best of his ability and thrived in the temporary role, keen for them all to know it.

As well as this, it would appear that Dana was also no closer to finding out why Lilith had gone missing for a full day at the start of the week and got nowhere when she confronted her about it the following morning with concern. Instead, she simply told them all that she was perfectly fine whilst acting the complete opposite. If Dana knew anything, she knew that Lilith often acted anxious at the best of times. But this was different and she wouldn't let it slide quite so easily.

When Saturday morning arrived, the group headed off through the front gates of the Castle and followed on the path which led to Hogsmeade, feeling a profound sense of freedom at last. All students walked at a brisk pace, trying their best not to let the harsh and bitter wind penetrate their thick winter cloaks and reach their already frozen bodies.

The streets were loaded with noisy locals, all piling in and out of the most popular village shops. Many of the younger students veered off in the direction of Zonko's and Honeydukes, whilst Dana, Cedric, Patrick and Lilith instead headed straight for their usual spot in the Three Broomsticks.

Beside the back entrance, a grimy old rubbish can had been completely knocked over, it's vile contents spilled out in a mess over the cobblestone street. As they got closer to the door, Dana noticed that a shaggy black dog was grazing around it, now gnawing on a rotten looking piece of chicken leg and frowned in pity.

Having a rare warmth towards animals which she didn't tend to have for humans, Dana rummaged in her pockets and found a pack of Cauldron Cakes that she had saved from the train. She casually tossed a couple of them over and the stray gobbled them up immediately as she followed the others into the pub.