Chapter 8; Even Dragons Have Nightmares

Start from the beginning

As the Princess drifts to sleep with her Dragon close by, she now knows that not all Fairy Tales are lovely for everyone.
Or the truth.
Instead of the Princess telling her stories, it was the Dragon,
that told his tale.

****

She was awoken by raspy breathing and choked sobs.

Lucy bolted up, her heart in her throat, sweat trickling down her face. Her eyes were impossible wide, pupils dialed from her fear. Her heart was jackhammering in her chest. She raised a hand to her chest to stop it.

She had had the nightmare again.

She wasn't the only one.

Her eyes instantly darted to the shaking form next to her. His body was curled up, form shaking violently, teeth chattering. Raspy sobs and hot tears falling down his face. His long pink hair was tussled and drenched in sweat.

Natsu was in hell.

"Natsu!" Lucy whispered as she laid a hand on his shoulder, only to jerk her hand away quickly. His skin had burned her. If she looked closely, she could see steam curling around his body. She held her burned hand close to her chest as she called out his name. "Wake up! It's just a dream, Natsu!" Lucy whispered as loudly as she dared. She hovered close to him, unable to touch the Dragon, but not wanting to leave him alone.

Happy was already awake.
His dark eyes were sad as he looked down at his troubled friend. Natsu had started to mumble something under his breath. Lucy could barely make out the words over herself and Natsu's raspy breathing.
"I...Ig...neel..."
He seemed to croak.
Lucy had never heard of such a name, if it was a name at all.
Then...why did it sound so familiar to her?

Natsu suddenly jerked and released a whimper.

Lucy had had enough.

"Natsu!" She cried as she grabbed at his trembling shoulders again. The air hissed around her hands when she touched his fevered skin.
"Wake up!" She shook him, "Please, you must wake up!"
Onyx eyes flashed open.
Natsu bolted upright, his eyes were wild, his chest heaving. His eyes flittered around the room as he tried to get his bearings back. Lucy sat silently as she waited for him to calm down.

This hadn't been the first time.

When Natsu first arrived at the castle, on the first night, Lucy had allowed him to stay with her. The only exception was that he would have to sleep on the floor. When Lucy had made sure that he would be comfortable, she had gone to sleep.
Only to be awakened by wails and cries.

Natsu had slept with her that night and every other night that he had those hellish night-terrors. He hadn't had one since; until now.
Now Lucy watched him as he slowly got control of himself once more. His breathing slowed and his tense muscles relaxed. His eyes returned to normal as did his heart. After another moment, he turned to Lucy.

The haunting look passed over his face only for a moment, till it disappeared once again. Once again hiding itself in the darkest part of Natsu's mind. It would appear again.
When it's host's barrier came down.
It always did.
Now, it was just the matter of waiting for its next attack.

Natsu grinned.
There was nothing happy about it.
"Yay, I'm good."
He wasn't.
Lucy could tell. His eyes had becoming duller, haunted.
Bags under his eyes looked like he had been given two black eyes. Sweat was still visible on his forehead, his hair flattened because of it. This is what his night-terror had left behind.
A dying fire.
Lucy imagined she looked close to the same as he.