Chapter 49 - A Close Call

Gazing outside the bedroom window, the rain pattered down steadily on the farm. You glanced at the clock. It was 9am. You had evidently slept in, and the cause? Well, he was sleeping soundly beside you.

And today, you woke up an engaged woman.

The proposal was beautiful, Harvey had truly picked the right moment. You considered it a stark contrast to how you thought you would get engaged. You imagined a public proposal, at a football game or at some fancy restaurant on the top floor with the exquisite view.

Harvey's was intimate, private and very romantic. He didn't need rose petals accompanied candlelight and other various lavish acts of worship, he chose a much more appropriate setting that matched perfectly with the dynamics of your relationship.

As well as the proposal, Leah got married successfully and seemed very happy throughout the day, despite the minor hiccups. If anyone deserved to be happy, it was her.

It was a day you would never forget.

You sighed as you stretched, Milo wagging his tail and sniffing around your feet. A feeling of deep relief washed over you as you realised you wouldn't need to water the crops today, seeing as the rain took that duty for you.

Today was going to be a day dedicated to pure relaxation and nothing else, some much needed 'down time.'

Making your way out of the bedroom, down the stairs and into the kitchen, you searched the cupboards for your packet pancakes. Acquiring the half empty packet, you placed two into the toaster and waited, your body resting on the kitchen surface. Letting out a yawn and a sleepy rub of your eyes, you heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

Harvey appeared from the archway in no more than his boxers, his hair ruffled and askew.

"Good morning future husband." You joked, turning to attend to your breakfast. "Good morning future wife." Harvey replied in a teasing manner, kissing your cheek from behind as he groggily took a mug from the cupboard.

You switched the kettle down to boil for him, to which he appreciated. Sitting down on the sofa alongside Milo, you began to enjoy eating the breakfast you had especially made for yourself. Switching on the TV, you scanned the channels until you found the weather channel.

You read the headlines, one of which stated about a short but feisty storm in the east, near to where you are located in Pelican Town.

"Oh, apparently there was a big storm last night? Around 3am till 7:30am this morning?" You questioned, as the weather lady read out the daily temperatures and climates. "I didn't hear anything?" Harvey chimed in, moving towards the sofa with his coffee to watch.

"Gale force winds and heavy rain, as well as thunder...?" You looked on puzzled, having miraculously slept through the whole ordeal.

Harvey sipped his coffee, eyebrows furrowing in concern. "That's strange. I usually wake up at the slightest sound, especially something as loud as a storm." He continued to watch eagerly.

"We were very tired." You added, answering his concern.

Suddenly the phone rang across the other side of the room. Letting out an exaggerated sigh, you made your way to answer it. "Hello?" you said, a hint of annoyance in your voice.

"Evangeline? It's Marnie. You need to get to the library right away. The storm... it collapsed the roof." You pulled a shocked face towards Harvey to convey the severity of the situation. Harvey raised both his brows in confusion.

Your heart skipped a beat. "What? Is everyone okay?"

"Yes, luckily no one was inside, but there's quite a lot of damage. Gunther is seemingly very shaken up." She sighed, clearly defeated by another unexpected disaster in the Town.