Shut The Fuck Up

you want a fight? you'll get a fight.

By this point, Izzy, your precious little four-year-old, was throwing a temper tantrum because she wanted her mommy

So you gently picked her up and rocked her to and fro in your arms while she sobbed, loudly, for Mommy.

"Shh, it's okay, love," you whispered, rubbing her back tenderly as you slowly made your way upstairs to her bedroom, where, when she finally calmed down, you set her down on her bed.

She was still sniffling, but she was starting to relax, her little fists unclenching as she clung to her favorite stuffed rabbit. You tucked her in, smoothing the blankets around her, and kissed her forehead gently.

"Mommy will be home soon, I promise," you said softly, brushing a stray curl from her damp cheek. Izzy's big eyes looked up at you, still glistening with tears, but she nodded, trusting your words.

"Will you stay with me until she comes back?" she asked, her voice small and tired.

"Of course, sweetheart," you replied, pulling a chair close to the bed and sitting down. You began to hum her favorite lullaby, a soothing melody that always seemed to calm her down. As you sang, her eyes grew heavier, the rhythmic sound lulling her into a peaceful slumber.

Once you were sure she was asleep, you quietly slipped out of the room, leaving the door slightly ajar. You made your way back downstairs, your vision blurred from your own tears. It had taken all your strength to keep a calm façade for Izzy's sake, but now that you were alone, the emotions came flooding back.

You sank onto the couch, staring blankly at the TV, which was still on but muted.

Your phone buzzed with a text message. It was Taylor.

When you heard Taylor pull into the driveway maybe thirty minutes later, you were just about to head upstairs, but you decided to at least try and talk it out with her

When she stumbled in, all she did was glare at you and make straight for Izzy's bedroom.

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?" you asked demandingly.

She turned around at the landing of the stairs, arms crossed. "Izzy's room," she said in a knowing tone, as if you were dumb.

"Izzy's asleep, Taylor. We need to talk. Now," you said firmly, your voice barely masking the frustration bubbling inside.

Taylor rolled her eyes and descended the stairs slowly, her irritation palpable. "What's there to talk about? You've made it pretty clear how you feel."

"Oh, don't you go playing the victim here," you snapped. "You've been shutting me out for weeks. Every single time we have a disagreement, you run to Izzy instead of facing me."

"And what about you?" Taylor shot back, her voice rising. "You think it's easy managing everything on my own? You think I don't notice how you've been distant, too?"

"Distant?" you echoed incredulously. "I'm here every single day, trying to hold everything together while you're off dealing with your career. You act like you're the only one who's tired. I'm exhausted too, Taylor. I'm so fucking tired of feeling like I'm not enough for you."

"Not enough for me?" Taylor's eyes flashed with anger. "I've been working my ass off to provide for this family, and all you do is criticise. You have no idea how much pressure I'm under!"

"Oh, don't give me that bullshit," you retorted. "You chose this life. You knew it would be hard, but instead of working with me, you've been avoiding every tough conversation. Do you even care how this is affecting Izzy?"

"Of course I care!" Taylor shouted. "But maybe I wouldn't have to run to her if you weren't always so goddamn impossible to talk to!"

The argument escalated, voices rising, each word a sharp dagger aimed to wound. The frustration, the resentment, the hurt-it all came pouring out, unchecked and raw.

"You know what your problem is?" you yelled. "You're so wrapped up in your own little world that you can't see what's right in front of you. I've been here, supporting you, but you're too blind to appreciate it."

"And you know what your problem is?" Taylor fired back. "You act like a martyr, like you're the only one sacrificing. I'm out there busting my ass for us, and all I get is this shit when I come home!"

The intensity of the fight was building, a storm that showed no signs of abating. Suddenly, a small, trembling voice broke through the chaos.

"Mommy? Mama?"

Both of you turned to see Izzy standing at the bottom of the stairs, her eyes wide and filled with tears. The sight of her shattered the anger in an instant.

"Oh, baby," Taylor whispered, rushing over to scoop her up. "I'm so sorry, sweetie. We didn't mean to wake you."

Izzy clung to Taylor, her small body shaking with sobs. You quickly moved closer, placing a reassuring hand on her back. "Shh, it's okay, Izzy. We're here."

The weight of what had just happened hit you both hard. The fight, the shouting-it had all been too much. For a moment, there was only the sound of Izzy's cries, a painful reminder of the toll your conflict was taking on her.

"Izzy, sweetheart, we're sorry," you said softly. "We didn't mean to scare you. Mommy and I were just having a grown-up talk, but we should never have shouted like that."

Taylor nodded, tears streaming down her face. "We love you so much, Izzy. Hm?"

part ii um in the works ig