V2 - Chapter 8: Dream Sequence

"Time is a cruel thing, wouldn't you agree?" The boss asked no one.

The boss sat alone, staring at the board in boredom. With a flick of a finger, a piece collapsed. The boss sighed and repositioned the piece, making sure it was in the exact place it was previously.

Then, a knock resounded on the door.

"You may enter," the boss said.

Ayanokoji entered the room and greeted the boss saying "I've come here to discuss the completion of my part."

"Ah, you have finished?"

"Yes, it wasn't a difficult task."

"I suppose not."

The boss stared into Ayanokoji's impassive face, attempting to get a read on him. Of course, Ayanokoji was attempting the same.

The boss smiled and said "then that means we'll be reaching the next phase shortly."

"Pardon my rudeness, but I have a question."

"You do? Ask away."

"Do you suppose it'll actually work? It seems to me that there seems to be something lacking."

"Of course. I mean, I haven't even told you every part of it yet."

"I see."

"Do not worry, for everything in this world follows according to how I foresee it."

"I suppose there hasn't been anything that's denied such a claim."

"Of course not, I am in control. I will always be in control."

"Quite the confident statement, but I have to ask, where does this confidence stem from?"

The smile on the boss' face turned vicious and said "I was born better than everyone else. I would say it's because it's my destiny."

"Destiny? Quite the arbitrary thing to believe in."

"Of course it is. I am only saying that I can only be explained by something like that."

"I suppose so."

The two fell into silence for a few moments.

The boss then decided to talk about a certain topic, "Ayanokoji, I heard Shiro died recently."

"Yes, I heard it too. It is quite the shame, he was quite the bright child," Ayanokoji said with an indifferent tone.

"You don't seem very torn up over it."

"Of course not, I figured he would eventually get himself killed."

"Yes, it is quite a shame. He could've been a useful person in our organization."

"Indeed."

"Your son is more brilliant, is he not?"

Ayanokoji continued with his impassive face and said "I suppose you could say that."

"Who would you say is smarter, him, or me?" The boss asked with an unsettling smile donning their face.

"You, without question," Ayanokoji answered without hesitation.

"Is that so? What makes you so certain?"

"I've seen Kiyotaka's abilities first hand, I know his limits and shortcomings."

"And you're saying you haven't found those limits or shortcomings on me?"

"That is correct."

"But I have to ask, what are Kiyotaka's shortcomings and limits?"