Chapter 42 :- Medicine and Mysteries

Alex stared inside, his eyes wide with disbelief.

"Leo, what's this? The label has your mom's name on it... why did she prescribe so many? There are like ten bottles in here!"

Leo's face tightened, a mixture of guilt and frustration flashing in his eyes.

"She didn't," he admitted quietly, avoiding Alex's gaze. "Last month, I stole a page from her prescription pad."

Alex's jaw dropped. "You what? What the hell possessed you to do that?"

Leo sighed, the weight of his actions pressing heavily on his shoulders.

"Alex, you don't understand. When my mom came to the U.S. at nineteen, she had nothing. She worked three jobs to put herself through college. She got a full ride to Harvard Medical. That's where she met my dad, who already had three patents under his belt. Now? He has twenty."

Alex leaned back, absorbing the magnitude of Leo's words. "I knew they were both doctors, but damn."

Leo's eyes glistened with unshed tears.

"Everything I do is measured against them. 'At your age, I'd won an international prize. At your age, I'd started my own company.' I am already so far behind them, and they can't hide how disappointed they are. I can see it every time they look at me."

Alex's anger softened, replaced by a deep sympathy.

"Leo, I had no idea you felt this way. But stealing prescriptions... that's not the answer."

Leo nodded, his shoulders slumping. "I know. I just... I just wanted to be seen, you know? To feel like I mattered, like I could live up to them."

Alex's eyes widened with a mix of shock and disbelief. "So you decided that taking focus pills was the solution?"

Leo looked down, his hands trembling.

"I couldn't think of anything else to do. I was already overloaded with classes, I wasn't sleeping... I was at my limit and I could feel myself slipping. I had to get some help. The first week... it was amazing! I had so much energy, and I never got tired or distracted. I finished two college applications in one night."

Alex listened, a knot forming in his stomach. He had never seen Leo so vulnerable, so desperate.

Leo continued, his voice cracking. "But it didn't last. Suddenly, I was paranoid all the time and I couldn't sleep, even when I was exhausted. That's when our principal got suspicious."

"Wait, so does that mean... Oh God, Leo, the snake?" Alex's mind raced, connecting the dots.

"It's the only explanation that makes sense," Leo said, his voice barely above a whisper. "Principal was about to set a meeting with my parents, Dylan put that snake in the principal's desk to protect me. It's my fault he's in the hospital, and it will be my fault if he dies."

Alex felt a surge of anger mixed with pity. "Leo, you can't blame yourself for everything. Dylan made his own choice."

Alex took a deep breath, trying to process everything. "So what will you do now?"

Leo looked resolute, his voice steady. "I'm going to get rid of the pills, and I'm going to do whatever I can to stop Dylan from hurting anyone else. After that, I don't know. I'm sorry, Alex. I know I have no right to ask anything of you, but please, don't tell anyone what I did. Please give me a chance to fix this."

Alex studied his friend, seeing the desperation and determination in his eyes.

"I understand why you did this. Just please, don't do it again. And we have bigger problems right now. We can't solve them without you. I'll keep your secret for now."