Chapter 40: It's No Use

Chatot lets out a battle cry and dives towards the field, landing in the center and sending a death glare in Maxie's direction. Maxie scowls at me and shakes his head.

"That bird may have won against me last time, but with my type advantage and huge amount of power my win is inevitable," he laughs. His Camerupt snorts and lumbers onto the field. I bite my bottom lip in anticipation and sigh. This is going to be really hard. He definitely has the advantage. I take a step back and debate whether or not to take the chance. What the hell, I'm going for it. I grin and straighten up.

"Okay, Chatot. Lets do this!" I shout encouragingly. He lets out an excited chirp and clicks his claws against the stone floor.

"I won't let you down," he says, spreading his wings. I smile and start off the last battle, and the last chance I have at winning.

"Hyper Voice lets go," I command. Chatot lets out an ear piercing screech and I watch as Camerupt and Maxie flinch at the sound. I keep calm, unfazed by the noise and call out my next move.

"Fury Swipe." Chatot bares his claws and swoops forwards, attacking Camerupt over and over again with his bright red claws. I smirk as Chatot pulls back and blows some dust off one of his claws. Maxie scowls and calls out his next move.

"Earth Power! And don't miss!" Camerupt bellows and stomps the ground, causing miniature volcanoes to pop out of the floor.

"Time to take flight, Chatot," I say to him. He nods and launches off the floor right before one volcano erupts underneath his feet. He squawks in surprise and dives away, doing a barrel roll to avoid a few more that have appeared in his path.

"Use Aerial Ace both defensively and offensively," I tell him. He immediately begins to glow white and his speed increases massively as he dodges the rest of the volcanos with ease and makes a turn towards the Camerupt. Maxie scowls and points at my Chatot who is gaining ground with every second.

"Use Yawn," he commands. I smirk and shake my head.

"I'm not falling for that again. Swoop upwards and over and attack from behind," I sneer at him. Chatot mimics my smirk and makes a sharp turn upwards, dodging the attack. He does a loop and dives down, attacking Camerupt from behind. Right after he does that he stops abruptly and gives a series of Fury Swipes at the poor Camerupt's face. The Camerupt stands there, shocked, until he realizes he was just attacked twice. He roars and stomps his feet furiously. Maxie grins maniacally and adjusts his glasses for the umpteenth time.

"Use our Fiery Volcano combination," he says. I tilt my head at him. What does he mean by that? It sounds so much like a contest move! I shake my head, not wanting to bring up my past, and glare at him.

"Get ready, Chatot. Be prepared for anything," Chatot stops and hovers in mid-air over the center of the field. My look of hatred suddenly turns into one of complete shock as a combination of Earth Power, Rock Slide, and Eruption bombard the battlefield. Chatot screeches in surprise and races around the field, trying desperately to dodge the rocks, fire, and volcanoes. I clutch my head in my hands and fall to the ground.

"Why was I so stupid? Why did I let this happen? I should have listened to Paul! I should not have challenged Maxie! I should not have put my Pokemon in danger! What did I do to deserve this?!" I yell at myself. I sit there on my knees crying for what seems like hours with May looking at me sympathetically. I hear a painful squawk and watch in horror as Chatot is blasted out of the air.

"This is it. It's all over," I whisper to myself. "There's nothing I can do."

"Use Hydro Pump." Suddenly a massive blast over water hurls past my face, whipping my midnight blue hair. I sit there, frozen in shock until someone gently lifts me up and takes me to the side of the field. I glance up to see May smiling down at me and Drew standing off to the side, watching the battle unfold. I look at the battle and gasp when I see Paul standing there with his Swampert next to him. He looks at me and his gaze slightly softens before he glares coldly at Maxie.