Chapter 31: Back Here Again

"I can't believe we had to come all the way back here" I sigh in annoyance. Paul just grunts and continues walking. His pace is so fast that I have to jog to keep up. We stay with the plan, which is to head to the pokemon center, but I spot something unusual and stop to check it out. Paul notices this and stops, backing up a few steps. A group of people are hanging around the harbor building. We glance at each other and I shrug, strolling towards the group.

"What do you think is going on?" Chatot asks curiously. I shake my head.

"I have no idea." I answer, making my way through the crowd. A gap appears and I quickly slide into it. Paul fits in next to me, the crowd making the space limited. Blood rises to my cheeks when I realize how close we are and Paul also blushes slightly. Chatot chirps quietly and I focus my attention on the scene before me.

Captain Stern stands in front of the door with a news reporter next to him. She is asking questions on the submarine expedition Captain Stern just completed.

"I didn't know the submarine was finished." I whisper to Chatot and Paul.

"Neither did I" they answer in unison. A small giggle escapes my mouth and I quickly clap a hand over it to stop myself. The news team finish up the interview and leave, pushing their way through the ever growing crowd. Captain Stern wipes his forehead and sighs.

"First interview and I was a sack of nerves." he says, looking around the group. His eyes light up when he spots me.

"Hikari! How nice to see you again!" He greets me happily. I step out and shake his hand.

"You too, Captain Stern!" I return the greeting. He looks behind me at Paul, who is standing awkwardly a few feet behind me.

"Who is this young man?" he asks, walking up to Paul and extending his hand.

"Paul." Paul mutters in reply, shaking Captain Stern's hand. Stern frowns at him.

"I met him outside Mauville City." I explain quickly. Captain Stern smiles at me.

"I'm guessing you have heard of the recent expedition?" he questions me. I nod my head.

"Good. I think you will be happy to know we found a cavern on the sea floor of Route 128. We think it might be home to an ancient, slumbering pokemon." he explains excitedly. Paul and I glance at each other nervously and I open my mouth to say something, but a noise stops me.

"Hahahahaha." A loud, static voice shouts. I cringe and frantically look around for the source. That is Team Magma, isn't it? I mentally face palm. Of course it is.

"Listen up, Captain Stern. Your submarine is now in the hands of Team Magma. Don't worry though because your machine is going to become a small part in the next advancement in human history! That is all." the voice says sternly. Stern just looks surprised, but I know what's going on. I growl and burst into the harbor building with Paul close behind. Maxie and Tabitha are near the water, standing next to a light-blue submarine.

"Seriously?! You guys are still trying?!" I exclaim angrily. Maxie smirks at me while Tabitha scowls at my presence.

"My, my, you are very persistent. I will grant you some respect for that." Maxie says smugly. I quickly grab Paul's shoulders to make sure he doesn't attack them right then and there. Insulting his pride is a bad idea. Paul's fists are clenched at his side and he glares at them harshly. Tabitha chuckles softly.

"Sorry, but we have to go. If you really want to stop us our base is in Lilycove City. See you then." Maxie says calmly.

"Oh come on!" I shout in frustration. "We just came from there!" Maxie just smiles smugly and starts getting in the submarine.

"Hey!" I yell harshly and take a step towards them. Grunts suddenly appear and hold Paul and I back, not letting us get to Maxie and Tabitha as they climb in the submarine. Chatot launches at the grunts, but I quickly pull him back, seeing as there are four of them. The submarine disappears beneath the water and makes its getaway. Paul mutters something under his breath and I snarl at the grunts. They take a small step back and let go of me. Chatot and I smirk evilly.

"Bad idea." I laugh and push them over the edge. All four land in the water and start flailing around like a Magikarp.

"That's what you get!" Chatot squawks at them. Paul smirks and we make our way out of the building.

"I can't believe it!" I explode once we're outside. "They have the nerve to make us go on this wild goose chase and make fun of us! I am sooo going to give them a piece of my mind!" Chatot growls in agreement and I start storming off, but Paul catches my arm. I turn to glare at him, but he is unaffected by it.

"How about we get supplies first and then just fly to Lilycove City." he suggests in a monotone voice.

"You have a flying-type pokemon?" I ask, suddenly curious. He lets go of my arm and starts walking.

"I have a Salamence." he says, shrugging like it's no big deal." I grin and sprint to catch up. Tomorrow we are breaking into Team Magma's base.