Chapter 35: Sparks Fly

I groan as the grunts drag me through another set of halls. I've been here for five days now and during that time Maxie has been making me train hours on end. There has been little time to sleep and the only food I get are various berries, which I guess is part of the experiments.

I haven't seen Paul since that first day when I confessed to him. I don't know what he thinks of me now, but I hope he doesn't hate me. I guess I don't blame him if he does. I dragged him into this, got him captured, and let's not forget I'm a freaking mutant.

I sigh and look down at my clothes. Maxie thought it would be funny to give me a new set of clothes, so now my shirt is even more skimpy than before. I'm were skinny jeans with black tennis shoes. My shirt is a tight, black, short-sleeved t-shirt. The curved v-shaped neckline is about two inches below where my neck actually begins and the shirt ends above my belly button.

I really wanted to punch him when he took it out. Now all the male grunts have been eyeing me. I actually nearly choked one to death when he got too close to me. The female grunts are the ones that drag me around now.

For some unknown reason, Maxie let me keep my mega bracelet. I have no idea why, but I have a feeling he's going to use it in some more tests. So far the tests haven't been that bad. Just some blood tests, combat skills assessments, and various others. Today he said he is going to start a different kind of experiment.

I grunt when the girls pulling me shove me through a door, making me stumble before regaining balance. After a quick glance around the room I become even more nervous about what's going to happen. The room itself is about 10 feet high, 10 feet long, and 10 feet wide and painted white. A long rectangular window about 6 feet long is inserted in the back wall about 7 feet off the ground. In the middle of the room is a glass cylinder extending from the floor to the ceiling. Generators are attached to it and cables snake their way across the floor.

The door behind me opens and I immediately jump back in surprise. Maxie strolls through the door with two scientists trailing after him.

"Ah, you're here. Good, we can get started right away." he says, walking past me to examine the tube. I whirl around to face him.

"What is this about?" I ask furiously, pointing at the tube. I have never seen something like this, not even when Giovanni was testing me. Maxie walks across to the scientists, who are busy scribbling something on a clipboard.

"We will answer that when we begin." Maxie explains vaguely. I just stand there with my hands on my hips.

"So, what am I supposed to do?" I ask in annoyance. Maxie adjusts his glasses and turns back to me.

"Just get in it." he answers like it's obvious what I should do. I start cursing him under my breath and circle around to the back of the cylinder. Part of it is open, so I step inside. The door suddenly slides shut and locks me in. I spin around, looking for a weakness in the contraption, but I can't find any.

"Maxie!" I shout, banging on the glass angrily. He grins and walks up to me. Despite the glass being there I send him a menacing glare and punch the glass viciously. He just shakes his head.

"Relax, Dawn. We are just going to conduct some tests." he says turning around.

"Oh! By the way, your boyfriend is going to be watching, so you better behave, Dawn." he adds before exiting the room. My eyes widen and I quickly spin around to look at the window. I back up against the wall of the tube when I see Paul staring at me through the glass. His eyes connect with mine, but he lowers his head so his violet bangs cover his face.

"Power!" someone shouts suddenly and I whirl around to find one of the scientists standing next to a lever. He smirks at me before pulling the lever down.