Chapter IV (EDITED)

I glared at the ground and kicked a rock off the path. It seemed weird that I was so restless because so far I've done fairly well. I had raised up about 800 dollars from battles, and I managed to catch a Poochyena. I caught her trying to steal food out of my bag. The sneaky little thief nearly got away too, but Chatot noticed her and with the help of Torchic, Poochyena became a new member of my party. I had stopped in Oldale Town to stock up on supplies before heading back onto Route 102.

Again, it seemed strange that I was angry. Maybe because I knew that every step forward was one step closer to the league. And every step closer to the league meant one step closer to Paul. I might even have to battle him well before then if fate decides to toy with me again. It's not even a question of if anymore; it's a question of when.

A sharp chirp startled me out of my thoughts, and I glanced up to see Torchic sitting on the ground. He was furiously shaking his head back and forth. I giggled and knelt down next to him. He looked up at me and peeped as I took him into my arms. I rubbed the feathers on his head, and he sighed and snuggled into my chest. Chatot landed on my right shoulder.

"He's so cute, isn't he?" I asked Chatot. Chatot just huffed.

"Not at cute as me, though." He puffed out his chest. I ruffled his feathers and continued walking. After a few minutes, I pulled out my pokedex and started looking through the pokemon in the area.

"This looks good." I stopped on a picture and showed it to Chatot. "There appear to be some ralts on this route. I think we have a good chance of finding a male one." I brought the dex back down and scrolled through the move pool. "I've always wanted a gallade."

"Let's go get one then," Chatot said. He flew off my shoulder and disappeared into the nearby grass. I laughed, put the dex back and followed him into the grass.

"Alright, Torchic! Ember!" I shouted. Torchic sucked in a breath and shot out a small fireball. The ralts tried to dodge, but it was too late. The ember exploded against it, and it fell to the ground.

"Let's hope this works," I muttered. I took out a pokeball and hurled it at the pokemon. It hit the ralts and enveloped it in a red light before clamping shut and falling to the ground. I stared at the ball and bit my lip. A small click echoed out, and a cloud of small sparkles came off the ball.

"Yeah!" I yelled and pumped a fist in the air. "We caught a ralts!" Torchic and Chatot cheered together as I picked up the ball and took out the pokedex. I scanned over the ball and checked the stats.

"Yes! It's a male! And it knows confusion, magical leaf, psychic and future sight." I grinned at Chatot and Torchic. "We got a strong one, boys! He'll make an awesome Gallade!" Torchic chirped and puffed out his chest. I smiled at him and scratched his head.

"I have no doubt that ember will make a great flamethrower!" I told him.

"Thanks, Dawn!" He chirped. I grabbed his pokeball off my belt.

"You were wonderful. Take a nice, long rest." He disappeared inside with a grin still plastered on his face. I straightened up, and Chatot landed on my shoulder.

"Time to get back on track," he said. I nodded.

"Yeah. I want to reach Petalburg before nightfall," I yawned. I grabbed my back, swung it over my back and walked back to the route.

"Finally," I gasped. Chatot muttered his agreement and yawned. It had taken the rest of the day to make it to the city, and both of us were exhausted. I stretched and glanced around for the Pokecenter. I spotted the familiar red roof a few blocks over. After another yawn, I crossed the road and made my way through the city towards it.

After a few minutes, I stepped in front of the glass doors. They slide open, allowing me access into the air-conditioned building. I entered and inhaled deeply, letting my arms hang by my sides. Chatot let out a sigh and ruffled his feathers. I smiled and walked up to the desk where one of Nurse Joy's many identical cousins was typing on a computer. I cleared my throat before speaking.

"Hello. Room for one, please?" She glanced up at me and nodded.

"Sure. What's your name?" She asked.

"Hikari." Nurse Joy typed it in, then handed me a key card.

"Your room is number 27," she stated. "I can heal your pokemon as well if you like." I nodded and handed over everyone except for Chatot.

"Thanks," I replied. She smiled at me, and I turned towards the hall. Chatot suddenly tapped my shoulder.

"What?" I whispered. He said nothing but pointed his beak back towards the lobby. I glanced at where he had pointed and froze. A teen sat on a couch near the fireplace. His lavender hair reached his shoulders, and he sported a blue and black coat with charcoal-colored jeans. In his hands was the latest edition of Trainer Magazine.