Chapter II (EDITED)

My eyes blinked open, and I yawned. I rubbed my eyes and turned my head to look for Chatot. After doing a quick scan of the room, I found the bird perched on my side. I laughed and shook my head. I still have no idea how he does that. He growled when I laughed and pried open an eye.

"Can you stop? I'm trying to sleep," He mumbled. I chuckled and lifted him into my arms as I sat up.

"Sorry. But we are arriving in Hoenn in-" I glanced at my watch. "An hour." He yawned and stretched his wings.

"Fine," He said and flew to the other end of the room to clean his feathers. I shook my head, stood up and stretched. A yawn escaped my mouth, and my arms fell to my sides. I trudged over to my backpack, zipped it open and began the search for my hairbrush. I growled and dug my hand in deeper.

"Where is it?" I muttered. Something tapped my shoulder, and I turned around. My brush fell into my hands.

"Looking for something?" Chatot snickered and sat on my shoulder.

"Oh, Chatot," I sighed. "Don't you ever learn not to give me something I can hit you with?" He shuddered, and I laughed.

"Don't worry. I'm just joking." He sighed and flew over to my bag. He waited there as I brushed my newly-dyed black hair. After I was done, I returned the brush, zipped my bag up and swung it over my shoulders. Chatot landed back on my shoulder and chittered softly to himself. I pulled my hood up to cover my face and stepped out of the room, closing the door behind me.

"Good morning." 

I jumped and whipped around to see a steward smiling at me.

"O-oh. Good morning," I replied. His smile widened, and he held out his hand. I gave him my key, and he nodded and walked away. I sighed and shook my head. I'm not normally this jumpy. What's wrong? I shook the question off, walked to the bow, and leaned on the railing.

The port grew closer as the boat steered inland. As the distance closed, I ran through the list of potential problem people. Ash is in Kalos; Brock and Misty are back in Kanto, and Kenny is in Sinnoh with Zoey. But May, Drew, and Paul are in Hoenn. May and Drew are coordinators, so I can avoid them easily. Paul is a different problem. There is a possible chance that I might have to battle him. I just hope he hasn't memorized my style.

Chatot tapped my arm, and I snapped out of my daze. I glanced at him, and he just pointed his beak at the ramp behind me. I looked down to see Petalburg City down the road. A frown crossed my face as I walked towards the exit ramp. Something felt wrong. I stuffed my hands in my pockets, jumped on the railing and slid down. Chatot glided after me and alighted on my shoulder. I adjusted my backpack and took a quick scan of the city before me. I cringed as my eyes fell on the gym. My legs carried me past it and towards Littleroot Town. As soon as I was on Route 102, Chatot spoke up.

"So....what's the plan?"

"Well, we take Route 102 to Oldale town, then Route 101 to Littleroot. That's where we pick up my starter," I explained. "Then we backtrack to Rustboro City to battle the first leader." He bobbed his head.

"What about May's father?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." 

Chatot said nothing more after that. I kept my hood up as a precaution, just in case someone I knew walked down the path. Thinking back to Chatot's question, the battle against Norman shouldn't be hard. He doesn't know me. As long as May isn't with him, it should be no problem.

The trees thinned out as I entered Oldale town. I took a sharp right and headed south along Route 101. At this rate, I should be able to make it to Littleroot around mid-afternoon. I squinted up at the sky but immediately lowered my head and checked my watch instead. Just as I thought; it was noon. I sighed and continued walking. Chatot just cleaned his feathers. I glanced at him and smiled. Hopefully, Hoenn won't turn out as horrendous as I first thought.