Chapter 18: Confrontation

Just so you know, the explanation Maxie gives in this story belongs entirely to Game Freak. I like to use my own words, but I really don't have a better way to explain it in Maxie's type of dialogue. I don't own Pokemon. Just to keep that clear in your minds. :)

"What have we here?" Maxie smirks. "You must be the child who stopped us at the Slateport Museum. You need to be strong to be able beat Tabitha, which I see you already have." I smirk. Actually I've beaten him twice. Maxie stares at the meteorite for a few seconds before turning back to me.

"You show true potential. Because of this I will attempt to educate you." he says. "Thousand of years ago there lived a most powerful being that was said to be capable of creating new lands on this planet. The power which we in Team Magma seek." He closes his eyes and continues his history lesson.

"This power, which can expand the available landmass. belongs to a legendary and super-ancient pokemon. Though now it slumbers, having lost the source of its power and been trapped in a deep sleep. So what is it that we must do to awaken this slumbering giant?"

"Our research has led us here, to Mt. Chimney. Yes, here...to this very meteorite. If we create the right conditions, we should find ourselves able to alter this meteorite's qualities. Yes, even into a Mega Stone. Even into a Key Stone. And here, at Mt. Chimney- Hmph...I should not say too much. That is the end of today's lesson." He reopens his eyes and smirks at me. I snap out of my temporary nap and look at him sleepily.

"Hmm? Did you say something, Maxie?" I yawn. He growls at me, clearly annoyed at me for missing the entire lesson. I smirk triumphantly. Truth is, I've been listening this whole time, I just wanted to see his reaction.

"You will pay for that. I do remember telling you that you should stay out of our way, or else there will be severe consequences. You did not listen, so I shall have to punish you myself." He says menacingly. He adjusts his glasses and tosses out his pokeball. I grab one of mine and throw it out. The first part of the battle is between my Combusken and Maxie's Mightyena. I have the advantage here.

"Let's go, Combusken! Use Quick Attack and follow it up with Double Kick!" I shout. Combusken nods.

"Got it!" he says, determination clearly showing in his voice. He sprints forward and quickly tackles Mightyena before Maxie can call a move. He quickly follows up with Double Kick, sending Mightyena flying. It hits a rock, smashing it, and falls to the ground. It gets up slowly and stands before Combusken. It shakes from all the damage it has taken.

"That was powerful." it growls, wincing in pain. Maxie is unaffected by his Mightyena's weak state.

"Use Assurance." Mightyena rushes forwards and smacks Combusken, sending him sprawling across the glass. He quickly leaps up having taken little damage from the move.

"Combusken use flamethrower!" I exclaim, clenching my fist. I don't know how many pokemon Maxie has. I hope they aren't too difficult. Combusken lets out a huge flamethrower, engulfing Mightyena. Mightyena falls to the ground unconscious. Maxie calmly returns it and takes out another pokeball. This time a Golbat appears, screeching at the top of its lungs. Dang those things are annoying. I quickly return Combusken. I grab another pokeball off my belt.

"Come on out, Kirlia!" I let the psychic-type out. He glares at the Golbat and smirks.

"This is going to be easy." he says confidently. The Golbat flaps frantically around in circles.

"What did you say!? What did you say!?" it shrieks loudly. My hands fly up to my ears and I groan. Chatot, who has stayed silent this whole time, lets out an irritated chirp.

"I hate those things." he growls. I nod in agreement and let my hands fall back to my sides.

"Better make this quick before I lose my mind. Kirlia use Psychic and throw him to the ground, then use Magical Leaf." Kirlia immediately obeyed, eager to get rid of the annoying Golbat. His eyes glow and the Golbat becomes suspended in mid-air. In one swift movement it is on the ground and Kirlia is standing over it. He uses a close-range Magical Leaf leaving the Golbat unconscious. I breathe a sigh of relief and return Kirlia. Maxie returns his Golbat. A scowl appears on his face as he takes out his last pokemon. He calmly tosses it out and a huge Camerupt appears. It copies Maxie's smirk.

"It's over for you two." it says smugly. I glance at Chatot and he turns to me, nodding excitedly. He really wanted to go up against it. I give him a warm smile and nod. He always likes a challenge. He leaps off my shoulder and hovers in front of me.

"Prepare to be beaten into the ground." He growls menacingly. I smirk and face Maxie. I stand my ground, confident that Chatot can beat this Camerupt. Maxie is the first to call out a move.

"Use Earth Power. Lets end this quickly." Camerupt roars and stomps the ground. Small volcanoes appear and start shooting out pillars of fire. I've dealt with this before though.

"Quick, Chatot! Use Aerial Ace to dodge!" I yell over the thundering noise. He glows white and uses his increased speed to dodge the multiple volcanoes. Maxie smirks.

"Use Flame Burst." he says calmly. Camerupt shoots a small piece of fire from his mouth. Chatot was not expecting this and gets hit by the move. He shrieks as he is engulfed in flames and plummets to the ground.

"Chatot!" I scream. I see him slowly get to his feet. He looks at me with pure determination shining in his eyes. He's not going to give up that easily. I give him a small smile before turning back to Maxie.

"Use Roost, then use Aerial Ace and follow it up with Fury Swipes." I shout, my confidence coming back to me. Silver feathers appear and dance around Chatot for a few small seconds before he takes off, his energy now restored. He uses Aerial Ace and dives towards Camerupt. Maxie and Camerupt freeze in place, obviously not expecting Chatot to survive the attack. Chatot slams into Camerupt with full power. Camerupt skids backwards and collapses onto one knee. Chatot flies in close and swipes at Camerupt multiple times before drawing back. Camerupt stands breathing heavily. Guess I have to use one more attack.

"Chatot use-" Before I can finish my command Camerupt suddenly falls to the ground. I sprint over to Chatot and he collides with my chest. I wrap my arms around him and he purrs gratefully. I stroke his feathers in relief before placing him back on my shoulder. Maxie silently returns his Camerupt and gives me an evil smile.

"So you managed to beat the Great Maxie in battle." He laughs mockingly. "Now if you excuse me, it is time to unleash my full strength. Once you have seen the power of my mega-evolved pokemon you will be bowing before me in defeat." His expression changes suddenly and he turns around. He starts muttering to someone and I quietly step foward to hear what he is saying. I manage to catch the phrase "So it is Mt. Pyre." before he turns back around.

"Sorry, but I have to go. Perhaps we can battle another time. Take this as an apology for delaying our battle." he says, handing me the meteorite. I stand there looking at the meteorite in shock. He walks past me, but stops one last time.

"I will not forget the one trainer that managed to defeat me. Goodbye for now." He leaves and all the Magma grunts follow him to the stairs. I blink slowly before looking at the meteorite again.

"I would keep that just in case we need it." Chatot mutters. I unzip my backpack and place the small meteorite inside. I heave the bag back onto my shoulders and turn towards the stairs.

"He's a bit creepy." Chatot says, trying to lighten the move. I chuckle.

"More like he's mentally insane." I say, making a crazy face. Chatot and I burst out laughing and I clutch my stomach, laughing hysterically.

"Let's go. It's time to challenge Flannery in Lavaridge Town." I gasp, wiping tears from my eyes in the process. Chatot calms down a bit and nods in agreement, still chuckling to himself. I continue towards the Jagged Path, a route south of Mt. Chimney, and I think back to what Maxie said before he left. He said something about Mt. Pyre. It might be a good idea to check that out when I come across it. Right now I have a few more gyms to beat before I even get close to that mountain. At least I know where Team Magma is heading to next.