Chapter 15

Something was pounding in time with my heartbeat, the sound beating inside my head. My phone pressed painfully against my cheek; I must have fallen asleep typing a message to Benny in our family chat. I swung my head around, my memories of yesterday flashing through my brain making me groan.

I had to keep the break in a secret, my mum would have a heart attack if she thought someone was targeting me. But what if Benny decided to randomly visit me again? How could I hide where I am currently living? The pounding sounded again, I realized it was the sound of someone knocking on my bedroom door.

Brushing my hair out of my face, I staggered to the door, swinging it open whilst Kitty peered around me from her spot on the end of my bed. It was Sofia.

"Morning, dear. Just wanted to check if you're okay. It's eleven o'clock, thought you might be getting hungry." Her light brown eyes were kind as she gave me the once over, taking in my satin pajama set.

I must have been tired, I never slept in this late. She was right, I was starving. I told her I'd be out in a minute and went into the bathroom to wash my face and tie my hair in a bun. Back in my room, I threw on my grey skirt I'd worn yesterday to meet Cameron and a white crop shirt that had a black velvet rose printed onto it.

Sofia led me towards the kitchen. Like everything in William's mansion, it was massive and completely spotless. I expected William to appear any moment, but my host was surprisingly absent.

Sofia insisted on preparing my breakfast, I sat awkwardly on a stool at the counter, watching as she effortlessly moved around the kitchen. I kept glancing at the door, waiting for William to walk in as I ate two slices of toast with honey, chatting easily with Sofia.

"So how long have you been William's housekeeper?" Once she'd packed up my breakfast dishes, she brewed two pots of tea, lady grey for me and lemon and ginger for herself.

She smiled as she sipped from her teacup. "Four years. That's when he brought this place."

"It's a beautiful house," I looked around appreciatively. Through the kitchen windows, I could see a luscious green lawn leading down into a colorful garden.

Sofia followed my gaze. "You should have a walk through the gardens. In fact, I just remembered, I need some rosemary for tonight's dinner. We are having roast lamb. Would it be okay if you collected some for me?"

I jumped up, eager to see the gardens. "Sure," I said.

She went and fetched me a little basket and a pair of scissors. I entered the gardens through the backdoor next to the butler's pantry. Stepping outside I was instantly surrounded by hundreds of rows of herbs and spices; sage, thyme, basil, bay leaf, mint, chives, they continued down a brick pathway that led to the main gardens.

Crouching down, I tried to peer behind a patch of lavender when a shadow passed over me.

"What are you doing?" William asked as I stood immediately, my basket swinging in my arms. He was wearing a black cashmere pullover with grey washed jeans. He looked cool but comfy whereas I was becoming aware of the fact my skirt hung around my ankles, making me look shorter than I already was. In his left hand was a brown leather notebook, a pen wedged between the pages. Had I interrupted him writing in the garden?

"Sofia asked me to collect some rosemary for tonight's dinner. We're having roast lamb," I said as his gaze dropped to the basket hanging between us.

"Ah I almost forgot, Sunday's we always have a roast." He paused, "how are you feeling?"

"Surprisingly okay," I said honestly. Yes, I missed my apartment, but this mansion was like living within a fairy tale. William's eyes softened, was that a hint of warmth I detected in them? I shivered slightly.