Chapter 4

William stood in front of me, his hands in his pockets as he tilted his head to the side, his piercing eyes taking in my shocked expression with that familiar smirk. I was standing close enough to him to notice for the first time his eyes were framed with beautiful thick long eyelashes, they looked soft as raven's wings. Many women—myself included—would kill for natural eyelashes like his. What a waste on him.

"I have to go Mum, I'll call you later. Promise." I hung up and quickly put my phone in my bag, averting his gaze. Could I get away with stepping around him and pretending he wasn't there? I sorely doubted it.

"Now I know why my ears were suddenly burning." I blushed and glanced up at him. He was in a charcoal grey suit today, looking every bit like he just finished a model shoot for Burberry. His eyes flickered from my face to the bracelet in my hand.

"Sorry sir, my lunch break is almost over," I trailed off, walking stiffly past him but unfortunately, he decided to follow me to the register.

The woman at the counter couldn't keep her eyes off William as I paid for the bracelet. I couldn't blame her but little did she know his personality was the opposite of his looks. If she only knew who he truly was. William seemed completely oblivious to the shop clerk's gaze, he just stood there watching me as I fumbled with my purse.

I wanted to get the bracelet gift wrapped for Sabrina but didn't want to have to spend any longer than necessary with William breathing down my neck. I paid and hurried out of the store. Maybe I could lose him in the crowd? I walked quickly but his long legs let him keep up with me easily.

"So, what did you think of chapter twenty-eight?" I glanced around us, surely, he wasn't trying to discuss work in public.

"I will not break your confidentiality Mr. Lambert. It is best to speak only in an office environment or during work hours."

He chuckled, looking surprised. "I give you permission to break my confidentiality. Now tell me, being the diehard romantic you are, is Willow suitable for Theodore given their differences?"

We arrived at the front of my workplace. I frowned as I dug through my handbag for my key card to enter the building. "The better question is, is Theodore suitable for Willow? He is rude upon their first meeting, when he next sees her, he makes an assumption about her that is entirely incorrect and then never once apologizes even after gaining an interest in her." I stopped walking and faced him. "Wait, how do you know I'm a diehard romantic?"

He looked me up and down, as if that was enough of an answer. I raised an eyebrow and his eyes glinted, like patches of sunbeams bursting through silky clouds. "You really think Theodore should apologize to Willow? She was the one who tipped a whole can of paint on him before he was to meet with the art director."

I didn't respond and he sighed. "You carry around a copy of my book. And Darrin told me you're a major fan, that you mentioned me in your job interview here."

I glared at him. Of course, Darrin told him that. "I'm a fan of your books, yes." Not you. With a nod, he stepped back and gestured me to go forward.

"Thank you for your feedback, Miss. Thornton. I will talk to you later."

His tone irked me, but then so did everything about the man. I walked through the glass sliding doors, swiping my key card to gain access to the elevators. I looked at my watch, it was 2:15PM. I was fifteen minutes late thanks to him. I had a forty-five-minute lunch break each day; I'd never been late back. I always timed myself to ensure this fact.

My phone rang the moment I arrived at my desk. Without bothering to log in first, I answered immediately. Heavy breathing sounded in my ear as frustration coursed through me. "Please stop calling this number." I slammed the phone down. Maybe it was time to mention these calls to Darrin, surely he can get IT to block the unknown caller on my phone.