Chapter 9

"Wow, uncanny."

"Spitting image."

"Could be her twin."

I walked through the crowd of townspeople all vying to get a good look at me. The estranged daughter. The daughter that only visits for Thanksgiving and Christmas and never enters the town. I was lucky our family home was on the outskirts of town. It had a lovely view of the snowy mountains that surrounded Alucard and even better, allowed me to quietly visit Mum and then quietly leave again without running into any nosy locals.

Whispers followed behind me like a swarm of hissing snakes. Was it too late to try to escape? I'd steal Benny's car, drive back to Hurshell, surely everyone would understand? What was I kidding? No-one would ever understand. All weekend I had dreaded Monday and like all things we dread, they have a way of happening far too quickly.

Today isn't about me but it sure felt like it as all eyes followed me to the front of the paddock where my sister's house used to stand. If I closed my eyes, I could still see the worn cement steps leading towards the yellow house. The color was an ugly mustard yellow, yet Katie loved it. She'd started painting the cement steps to match the house before she died.

The walking track behind the paddock that led through the back of town and up into the mountains had been named after Katie. A signpost with bright gold writing was situated to the left of the paddock reading, "Katie's Lane." I turned my back on the sign and faced my family.

Mum, Benny and Addy were all huddled around the front of the paddock, facing the crowd of townspeople I had just walked through. Although the sun had sunk in the sky, its heat remained. I felt my black shift dress cling to my back with sweat.

Benny smiled at me and I instantly smiled back. I can do this, for Katie I have to be strong. Mum cleared her throat and the whispering died down.

"Today marks five years since our Katie was taken from us. We gather today to light a candle in her memory. We love you Katie, forever," Mum's voice wavered but I was proud she held back her tears as she spoke. She raised her candle and slowly lit mine, Benny's and Addy's. The townspeople stepped forward and we each ventured out and lit each other's candles until the paddock was illuminated by tiny glowing flames.

There was a minute of silence, I closed my eyes. My mind was a scramble of memories I often easily kept at bay. Katie grinning at me with her hands behind her back, "got you a present," she said, holding up a copy of Fate's Song. "You'll find your prince charming one day, Lizzie, just like I did." Her eyes glowing with happiness as I pounced on the book. I finished it the same day.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I had it on silent but it seemed to echo through the crowd. I shifted awkwardly, trying to silence it by pressing it against my hip whilst also keeping my eye's closed and my candle steady in my other hand. Once the vigil was over, Benny was going to drive me straight home. I had offered him to stay the night at mine so he's not spending all night driving but he didn't seem fussed.

My mum raised her head, linking her arm with mine. My phone continued to buzz, she smiled softly at me. "It's okay honey, I know work's busy at the moment for you."

I shook my head. "No-one from work would be calling me this late. It can wait."

Addy came up beside my mum and rubbed her back with a kind smile. I wish I could be that friendly and comfortable even with my own family. Sometimes I felt as stiff and awkward as if I were a stranger. My phone buzzed again, irritation flared through me and I pulled it out of my pocket as Benny joined us.