Chapter 25

Haley's POV

Life is a bitch.

I'd always thought the moment I met my mate would be magical. Just like Ashley and Zach. Just like Ezra and Orla. Although, admittedly, the latter two did have some ups and downs, they had each other through it all.

When I finished high school, I thought I'd meet him in college. But time went by and he never made an appearance. What I didn't know was that he was too busy being an evil henchman.

Life was a total bitch.

Well, at least he was cute.

Magic buzzed beneath my skin as I laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I had ran away as soon as he stepped toward me. Now I wished I had stuck around and punched him in the nose.

I ignored the pressure of my friends' attempts at mind-linking me. I even ignored Dad's links. I just wanted to wallow in self pity.

A tear slid down my temple, and I furiously brushed it off. I had cried all the way from the pack to my cabin on campus, and I refused to cry any more.

Another tear fell. My chin trembled. I pushed the heels of my palms against my eyes and cursed. My heart felt so sore, as if it had been beaten by a bat and run over by a bulldozer.

I sat up and rubbed my sternum. The ache didn't fade, and the tears fell harder.

"Damn it!" I threw one of my floral pillows against the wall. It fell on the orange carpet with a muted thud.

If the stupid tears would just freaking stop!

A knock on my door. I swiped my forearm across my eyes. My cousin, also my roommate, hadn't been in when I came back. I really didn't want to see her. I didn't want to see anyone.

Another knock. Couldn't they just let a girl brood in peace?

I dropped on my back again and put my arm over my eyes. A second later, the door opened. I peeked. Sam. I turned and gave him my back.

"Now that's just rude, Haley," he said in his signature drawl.

"You shouldn't come into a girl's room without invitation."

"Oh, you're a girl. I haven't noticed."

I rolled my eyes. The bed behind me dipped.

"I want to be alone," I mumbled.

"Tough luck. Should've chosen more considerate friends."

"You're an asshole."

"Tell me something I don't know."

I blew out a breath and glared at the window. The clouds that had gathered in the sky earlier were dispersing. Was it Orla? She was probably worried.

"Do you want to know his name?" Sam asked.

"No," I snapped. "Yes."

Sam chuckled. "It's Jun. Cute name, isn't it?"

I closed my eyes tightly. The bastard's sharp dark eyes flashed in my mind. I'd only seen him a minute or so, yet his face was etched to the back of my eyelids.

I wanted to see him again, so badly my magic whined with the need.

Sam sighed and put his hand on my head, his fingers warm for a vampire. "I'm not good at comforting, Haley."

"Then don't."

"Unfortunately, my conscience won't allow me. If you need to cry, cry. If you need to scream, scream. If you need to hit something, do it. I'll even volunteer if you want live target practice."