Chapter 6

"Why are you all worried? Isn't it supposed to be a good thing?" I asked Ezra as we followed his parents through the woods to the packhouse. Apparently, Hayden was with Hale there for some business when he met Meredith, who was with her parents.

"It is," Wren answered.

We took a shortcut, and this road wasn't paved for Wren's wheelchair. Sp she perched on one of Zyron's arms while he carried the wheelchair with the other. The ease with which he moved like he was carrying nothing made my jaw hit the ground at first. I had to remind myself that they were werewolves with supernatural strength. I didn't know if I would ever get used to it.

"At least it should be," Wren continued, looking at me over Zyron's shoulder. "If her mother wasn't a racist bìtch."

"Babe," Zyron groaned. Ezra bit back a smile.

"What?! You know it's true. Everyone knows it's true," she said. "I still don't know what Alpha Michael ever saw in her. Hayden is a witch, and he's black, both of those things are going to make her against this mating, I bet my life on it."

Zyron kept quiet. I couldn't believe there were still people in this day and age who judge others based on their skin color.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I'd been put down simply for being a human. There would always be people who don't like others simply for being different.

Wren told Zyron to set her down once the ground was paved. We heard the yelling before we saw anything. The packhouse came into sight.

Hayden stormed out of the front door, looking like he was going to kill anyone in his way. His eyes glowed brightly, swirling gold and blue. He broke into a run into the woods.

Ezra cursed, looking after him. I pushed his arm. "Go after him."

His arm tightened around me. "I'll send Sam."

I could feel his concern for Hayden through the bond, and it conflicted with his fear to leave me alone.

"I'll be fine," I said. "I'll stay with Wren and Zyron. I'll link you. Just go."

He clenched his jaw. Zyron and Wren waited for us by the door.

"Come on, girlie," Zyron said.

Ezra sighed, exchanging a look with his father, and let go. I kissed his cheek and jogged up the steps towards them. Ezra sprinted behind Hayden.

The first floor of the pack house had a seating area where Meredith and Alpha Michael were sitting with Hale and Zane.

They all stood when we walked in. Zyron motioned for them to take their seats.

"Hey," Wren said, looking at Hale. Hale's face was stoic. He was always so cheerful, seeing him like this meant he was truly pissed off.

Meredith's eyes were red and moist, her nose flushed. Alpha Michael clasped his hands tightly in a fist, his brows pulled low over his eyes.

Wren rolled her chair closer to Meredith and said something in a low, gentle tone.

I sat next to Zyron on the couch. A few pack wolves came in and out of the pack house, looking curious, but no one lingered.

Zach's mom, Eleanor, stormed in from the back door, her eyes glowing and annoyed. "I can't!" She threw her hands up with a growl. "Someone else talk to her!"

She plopped down on the couch next to Zane, who wound his arm around her shoulder and kissed her hair.

Not even a second later, Sonia walked through the same back door, her blonde hair flapping behind her. Meredith tensed. Her lips trembled, and she clenching her hands into fists in her lap.