Chapter 15

Orton held his palm up, a little flame sparking to life on his hand before he tossed it in the air towards me. I caught it, twirled it around my hand until it was a ring of fire then waved my hand away, the ring fading into nothing.

As a way to practice my elemental abilities, Olin had encouraged me and Orton to play around with them as much as we could. Engaging my magic often would make manipulating it easier as time went by.

I could practice fire, air and earth with Orton and my parents, so I was already better at manipulating those compared to water.

It had been three days since Ezra's fight with Olin. On mornings, Orton and I would go on our run. Surprisingly, I could now run two hours without collapsing in a panting heap. Who would've thought?

Then the three of us, Ezra, Orton and I would practice our magic for the rest of the day. It was our favorite thing. I could now teleport if I focused well enough. Though I still fell on my butt sometimes because the experience was dizzying.

"When is your birthday?" I asked Orton as we walked back to the cabin after our run, a wobbly tennis ball of water floating next to me. It reflected off the sunlight like crystals.

"September the fifth," he replied, watching closely as I tossed the water ball from one hand to the other.

I had grown closer to Orton. He was used to my random questions by now. I wanted to know them better. I wanted to know what they were like, the places they'd been and the things they'd done. It was the best I could do to get back the last fourteen years I hadn't been able to spend with them.

I threw the ball of water to the lake. It melted into the shimmering surface.

Vlad, Olin, Vanessa and Ezra were sitting under the shade of a tree near the cabin, all sweaty.

They had been fight training. Vanessa versus Ezra, and Vlad versus Olin.

"Who won?" I asked, plopping down next to Ezra. He wrapped his arm around me and rubbed his sweaty head all over my face. I chuckled and pushed him away.

"Vanessa and I," Vlad said. Vanessa gave me a wink.

I raised my brow at Ezra. He shrugged. "Your mom is very cunning."

"I think it's about time you should start sparring with the boys as well, Little Cherry," Olin said, leaning his head back against a tree and closing his eyes.

Ezra made a face. I patted his knee. The thought of seriously fighting no longer made me break into cold sweat. Though I was still nervous because I would probably be put on my butt more times than I would enjoy. But the horror of hurting someone I cared about was no longer stifling. Maybe I was growing desensitized to all the violence.

Right now, Vanessa was teaching me to fight as a beginner before Vlad or Olin took over when I grew more accustomed to the moves.

Vlad stood up. "I'm going to hunt down the mountain. Ezra, would you like to join?"

Ezra hesitated. I gently pushed him. "Go. I'm safe here."

He nodded and went with Vlad, disappearing through the trees. The four of us then went inside. After a quick shower, Olin and Vanessa made us lunch, and we sat down to eat. It was odd, having only the four of us. But it was no longer awkward.

After lunch, Olin and Orton went out to chop wood while Vanessa and I did the dishes.

"How do you get groceries and stuff?" I asked Vanessa as I dried a plate she just rinsed.

"We try to be self-sufficient. We have a small garden in the back with some veggies and fruits, and we go hunting for meat. Occasionally Olin teleport for grocery shopping somewhere else in the world, sometimes I tag along, sometimes Orton."