Chapter 5

"There's something on your neck."

Ezra frowned. I reached for the faint dark spot on the side of his neck. It looked like... a tattoo? He never had a tattoo there. Ezra's eyes turned pale, and he shivered when my fingers made contact. We stared at each other.

Could it be... a mark?

Ezra jumped off the bed and went into the bathroom. I snagged Ezra's t-shirt off the ground, put it on and joined him. He was leaning over the counter, looking at his neck in the mirror.

"You think it's-"

"A mark." He grinned and looked at me. "It's a mark. I think."

I frowned and walked closer to properly check it out. Was that a moon? And wings?Well, that was a dead giveaway.

"Remember I told you every supernatural has a special mark. Apparently, your kind has one too," he said.

"It looks like a tattoo," I mumbled.

"Witch marks are also like that," he said. "They look like half moon tattoos."

I traced the shape. "It's still faint."

"It'll get darker as time goes by," Ezra mumbled. "But it looks like a full moon surrounded by wings."

I met his gaze. "Which means you're going to have to hide it."

He nodded. He wasn't very pleased with the idea. His frustration and disappointment flowed through the bond.

But if anyone saw it, it could give away my secret.

*** **** ***

I sat on a bar stool as Ezra started the coffee machine. Sunlight flittered in through the windows, warming our campus cabin. The sky looked so bright outside, so blue. I felt odd. As if I was seeing colors for the very first time.

There was a knock on the backdoor before Ashley and Zach walked in, carrying tote bags.

Ashley grinned. She put the tote bag on the island and folded me in a tight hug. "Congratulations."

Oh. My cheeks felt hot when she pulled away. Ashley chuckled when she saw my embarrassment. "Nothing to be embarrassed about."

I cleared my throat. "Um- Thanks?"

I kind of forgot that everyone would know Ezra and I had finally did it. I put my hands on my cheeks. Oh God. That was a bit mortifying. I guess I should get used to it.

"It's a big deal for us," Ashley sat beside me. "You should expect stronger reactions from others."

"Right."

Sam popped into my head. Yeah. That vampire would be so stoked to have more teasing material.

"Congratulations, Orla," Zach said, slapping Ezra's shoulder. "You made this old guy very happy."

Ezra growled. "We're the same age, asshole."

Ashley and I took the Tupperware out of the tote bags they brought, while Ezra and Zach got empty plates from the cupboards.

Pancakes, sausages, hash browns, sliced fruits.

"Thanks for bringing all this," I told Ashley as I forked a strawberry and shoved it in my mouth. Yum.

"That's all Mom and Aunt Wren," Zach replied, leaning against the counter next to Ezra with a plate of pancakes and sausages in his hand.

Ashley nodded. "Wren said, and I quote, you must be hungry after a long night of devouring each other."