69❤

" Let's go home," I stated, gently pulling her up by her arm. However, she remained rooted in her spot. I knelt down in front of her, urging her to look at me.

I meet her eyes which have tears streaming down her beautiful eyes.

"So, you're enjoying this police station view . I see, even I find that lady officer beautiful.?" I said, trying to lighten the mood. But she only sobbed, covering her face with her palm.

"Stop crying," I stood up and embraced her. She buried her face in my stomach, continuing to weep.

"I didn't help him," she whispered. That's precisely why I dislike traveling with her or even allowing her to travel. Whenever we go somewhere, problems always seem to find us.

"I know," I reassured her, rubbing her back. She pulled back and looked up at me.

"You bribe the police office, right? They don't believe me."

" Shh don't say that loudly. " I joked again she seemed to not get any of my jokes.

"Aashika, it's already nighttime. I'm exhausted. I haven't slept properly. Let's go home and get some rest. We all know you didn't do anything except give him biscuits," I said, almost tauntingly.

"Let's leave this police station," I whispered again. She stood up and glanced behind me, where the thief was being interrogated by a police officer.

"He's smirking at me."

I turned to face the man, but he quickly averted his gaze.

"Let's go home. We've had enough trouble for one day," I muttered, taking hold of her hand.

"I didn't..."

"Yes, I know. Let's go now and stop crying," I mumbled, leading her towards a nearby tap.

I took a small amount of water and gently cleaned her face with it.

"Don't cry. Would you like to have some street food?" I asked.

She shook her head in response to my question and hugged me tightly.

I remained still, allowing her to find comfort. I couldn't find the words to describe her foolishness this time. Had she taken the wrong pills or something? First the crab, now this.

"Are you done?" I asked. She pulled back and nodded her head.

"Let's go home then."

We both sat on the bus. I gave her the window seat, knowing her well enough that if I didn't, she would either end up vomiting or feeling unwell later on.

After approximately twenty minutes, we reached home. Her mother embraced her tightly while scolding her at the same time. I made my way to my son and daughter who appeared to be engrossed in the television.

" Ayushi," I whispered from behind. Ayushi turned around with a joyful expression on her face.

" Dad!" she exclaimed, jumping onto me and wrapping her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck.

" Little miss, aren't you going to bed?" I asked, maintaining a firm tone with a hint of playfulness. It's already twelve. They always get scolded for staying up late, and I know how much Ayushi dislikes being scolded in front of others.

" I was waiting for momma."

Before I could respond, I felt tiny hands wrapping around my thighs.

" You only love Didi. You didn't miss me," Aryan asked. I chuckled, scooping him up in my arms as well.

They both rested their heads on each side of my shoulder.

Now this feels like home. I missed them a lot.

"Okay, time to go to bed. Your dad will join you two after taking a shower, okay?" I said. They nodded their heads, but my mom interrupted us.

"Aryan and Ayushi will sleep with me. You and Aashika can sleep alone."

"No....."

"Ayaan, your room's bed is small. You all won't be able to sleep comfortably. I will take them to my room, that's final," Mom said. I sighed and walked to Aashika's room where I will be sleeping. It's her childhood room before they shifted to City. But what's the point of having room when you can't even sleep alone.

"I've filled the cold water. If you need more, just call my name and I'll turn on the water motor so you can get more cold water," Aashi said, entering the room. I nodded, not giving her a verbal response.

Picking up my towel and clothes, I made my way out of her room and towards the bathroom.

"The body wash is in the bathroom, by the way..."

Before Aashi could finish her mumbling, I closed the door in her face.

She left without telling me, so I can do this much.

"Let's take a bath now."

I poured some water from the bucket onto my head. There's nothing better than a cold bath in the summer. It's actually so hot here.

Reluctantly, I step out of the bathroom after my shower, even though I wanted to linger longer. The bucket ran out of water, and the tap water was as hot as fire.

"Papa," Ayushi calls out. She pauses, sensing my gaze on her.

"I came to say good night," she says, opening her arms. I scoop her up, whispering 'good night' as I kiss her cheeks. She reciprocates before jumping down.

"Ayaan, you've bathed, right? You must be hungry. Sit down, I'll serve dinner," Mom says. I take my place on the floor, but when Mom returns, she looks surprised.

"Don't sit there. I'm bringing the table. I've asked your dad to move the air cooler here," Mom says, setting up the table.

That's why I dislike coming here. It was easier when she lived in the same city. Things are different here, and I feel like I make it harder for them. I'm certain they don't move the air cooler around all the time.

I sit on the chair as Mom places plates in front of me. Within minutes, the table is filled with bowls and plates.

"I'm calling Aashika. You should start eating; you must be hungry," Mom says before going to call Aashika.

"Seems like today is a festival," I mutter, taking a small bite of papad.

A few minutes later, Aashi joins me at the table, her eyes puffy from crying.

"It's okay, stop crying," I tell her. She looks up, then down, serving herself.

"Mom is so biased; she didn't make these things for me," she murmurs. We dig into the delicious food, Mom's cooking truly magical.

After finishing my meal and picking up my plate, Mom take it from my hand.

"Leave it here; I'll clean up. Go wash your hands. The night will be cool, so you don't have to worry about anything," she says.

I nod and leave the room.

A few minutes later, Aashika entered the room.

"Ayaan," she said, grabbing my collar. Instead of responding, I took her hand and examined it.

"Did you take help from mom and dad?" I inquired, observing the marks on her hand.

The marks were expected, but they would fade with time or become invisible.

" Ointment did it's work" she whispered.

I released her hand and reclined once more. If she believed I would embrace and kiss her after she left home because I had scolded her, she was mistaken.

________
Any request?