Annabeth

Percy's fingers thrummed on my arm.

We'd been cuddling on the sofa for awhile, content with each other's presence. I'd been tapping my foot on the floor incessantly, though I wasn't really anxious.

I felt Percy place a kiss on the top of my head, and had to restrain my giddy smile. I'd probably look like the Cheshire Cat.

It wasn't long before I heard a sigh. "I was four."

I shifted my head to look at him, frowning slightly at his faraway stare. His fingers had stopped moving against my arm. I didn't understand.

"What happened when you were four?" I asked slowly.

He broke his stare and turned to me with an inscrutable look in his eyes. He then softened his look, and tightened his grip on me. "Gabe married my mom."

I shifted a little upwards, so eye contact could be easier. He directed his gaze to the floor.

"I never really wanted anyone else in the family, I was happy: just my mom and me."

"Then he came. He started out a nice enough guy, I suppose. Easy for my mom to believe he would be fine. He gave me a blue lollipop when we first met." He laughed derisively. "Like it would make up for everything he'd eventually do."

"He started yelling first. He'd insult my mom and make me feel useless, which is a bit rich coming from someone who's the king of that. He never did anything to help, wasted my mom's money and only gave us trouble."

He inhaled shakily. "When I was six, I'd forgotten to give him a beer. He was really nice about it too, only slapped me for the first time."

I clenched my grip on his shirt. He ran a hand through his hair and continued.

"From there, one slap turned into two, two turned three, until it was all I could expect from him. Every time I was late, he hit me. Every time I forgot something, he hit me. Every time he had to see my face, he hit me. It seemed like my very existence needed punishment."

"I just don't know when hitting went from his own hands to whatever he could find around him."

When I met his eyes in alarm, he gestured weakly at the ridge over his collarbone I'd seen a few days ago. I raised my hand over to it, caressing it lightly with the pads of my fingers.

"The guys found out when I was twelve. They'd always noticed the injuries popping in more than usual, and I had to tell them at some point. I couldn't hide from the truth forever. But what do you do when even confronting it doesn't fix anything?"

I placed my hand behind his neck, and looked him in the eyes, that were turning a little shiny. "Percy, it's not your fault. You don't deserve this."

He smiled softly. "You don't know me that well, Annabeth."

I leaned in and kissed him, long enough for us both to be a little heady. "I know you well enough."

He blinked, gazing at me for a while. I leveled it right back.

"I wish I were more like you."

Taken aback, I blinked at him. "...what?"

He smiled again. "You're so...strong, collected. You've accepted your family as they are. You're not fazed by what went on, and you're so kind and helpful."

I stared at him. He raised a hand to my cheek, lightly stroking my cheekbone with his thumb.

"I wish- if I were more like you, maybe...maybe this wouldn't be happening. To me. To my mom."

I didn't break my eyes from him, stunned by what he said. Was he really talking about...me?

"You want...to be like me?" I pointed at myself. "You think I could possibly fix this?"

He nodded, dropping his hand and looking at the floor again. "If only you could see yourself the way I see you."

Did he think I had some superpower of some sort?

I turned his face to me, looking at him, trying to gauge what he was thinking.

He was serious.

A small laugh burst out of me, effectively startling him.

"I'm sorry", I reassured, "that's probably not the best reaction, but...you can't be serious."

His slightly astonished face didn't waver.

"If only you could see yourself the way I saw you", I mimicked, mocking him good-naturedly, making him frown. "Percy, for god's sake, if only you could see the way I saw you!"

I sat up properly, and took his face in my hands. "You're literally one of the strongest people I've ever met. I couldn't even begin to dream of being anything like you. But that's because I'm not. I'm me, and you're you."

He raised an eyebrow. "Your point being..?"

I rolled my eyes, wanting to make him see. "Gods, Percy. You lost your father when you were two. You want nothing more than to protect your mom. You love your friends, you'd do anything for them. You love animals, and you're taking a career that your dad would've loved, so you could remember him by. How could you not see what a gem of a person you are?"

He blinked, definitely rendered speechless. "Annabeth, I-"

"No, you're not me. You're nothing like me. You don't need to be. You're Percy, and you're so perfect." I kissed his forehead. "Anyone you love would tell you the same."

Percy just watched me, still looking like I told him he was a yeti. I leaned over and kissed him softly, breaking away to wrap my arms around him.

"You're amazing, Percy Jackson. Don't ever fucking change." I whispered, smiling into his shoulder when I felt his arms around me.

We stayed like that for a while, before he broke away, looking at me with scrunched eyebrows and a tentative smile. "What did I ever do to deserve you, Annabeth Chase?"

I kissed him on the nose. "You're you. What else would you need?"

Author's Note: you guys couldn't possibly understand the pure happiness I derive from writing Annabeth's point of view. 

Onto other matters... don't even ask how long this is going to take, I reached 29 chapters before I even realized, man, where are they coming from?

Anyways, enjoy.