Annabeth

Percy and I finished our drinks before making our way back home.

When we did reach, Percy looked at me and asked, "Do you, maybe, want to come inside?" He blushed through every word of that sentence, and I smiled.

"Sure." We both walked in, and Sally was on the couch, typing furiously on her laptop. She looked up at both of us, smiling her warm, beautiful smile.

"Hello, you two", she greeted, shutting her laptop. "Percy, your step-father won't be home until tomorrow morning, by the way."

Percy's eyes lit up. "That's great! You want to do something together?" he directed the question at me.

I shrugged, pulling out my phone. "I have to ask my parents, hang on", receiving a nod from Percy as he dragged me to the couch and sat next to his mom.

As I texted Helen, I observed how close Percy and Sally were. They spoke comfortably with each other, occasionally sharing a few laughs. Percy nodded, paying genuine attention when his mom narrated stories about work, placing his hand on hers. They both were very sweet and I couldn't help but smile at their loving dynamic.

My phone dinged, and I checked it, smiling at Helen's thumbs-up. I stuffed the phone in my pocket. "Helen said I could stay", I informed the Jacksons, and Percy grinned at me.

"Awesome, you want to join, Mom?" he asked Sally, who merely waved her hand around and picked up her laptop.

"I have some work to do, but you kids have fun. There's popcorn and juice inside, feel free to make and eat whatever you like", she said, getting up and making her way inside.

"You sure?"

"Of course, besides, Annabeth is here with you. I wouldn't want to interrupt you both", she said with a wink, laughing at Percy's "Mom!" as she made her way inside.

I felt my face warm but laughed, looking back at Percy as his face turned red. He looked at me with an awkward smile, and rubbed the back of his neck. "So, you, uh, want to watch a movie?"

I shrugged, "Sure, but I'm telling you now: I absolutely hate rom-coms."

Percy pointed at me in agreement. "They're a disgrace to the good name of cinema."

"I know, right? I just don't understand how people are perfectly fine with the ambling storyline, which isn't even realistic half of the time. It is literally the laziest form of storytelling."

"A few good looking people who just shyly smile at each other start kissing at the end of 2 and a half hours, excellent characters and script indeed."

We both got up to make popcorn, and spent the next 10 minutes ranting about movie romance, discussing our favorite movie genres and actors who practically revolutionized the industry. I even mentioned my love for classics, explaining to Percy how my dad had literally raised me on Audrey Hepburn, Gary Cooper, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Gregory Peck, and many others.

"Before he fell in love with and married Helen, my dad and I would spend my vacation watching all of the best ones over and over again. I remember his favorite was The Roman Holiday", I explained, as Percy listened with a warm smile. "We'd always make buttery popcorn and hours would be wasted away, but I loved it. It was kind of a way to fill the void my mom left in the house, and my dad never wanted me to feel any different about her not being here. He tried really hard, and I loved him for it."

Percy nodded, as he stuffed the second popcorn packet into the microwave. "What happened to your mom?"

I leaned back against the counter, folding my arms. His question kind of threw me off, and I didn't really know what to say for a minute. I bit my lip, and I probably must have been quiet for a bit too long, cause I saw Percy about to apologize.