Percy

"So, she fell on top of you?"

"Mm hm."

"And you both laid like that, then she got up and you both walked away?"

"Mm hm."

Jason went quiet for awhile. "Dude, you're scaring me."

"Wait, what?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Piper and I bet on how long it would take you guys to start dating. What you just told me is scaring me cause I'm about to lose 3 bucks-"

"Oh, by the gods." I groaned.

I could practically hear his amused grin. "Well, what else did you expect?"

I ran a hand down my face. "I literally hate all of you."

"Reciprocated."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm so lost because stuff like this makes it harder to ignore the way I feel about her, but I don't want to tell her how I feel, either."

"I get it, man. I do. I felt the same way with Piper, remember?"

"I guess." I chuckled. "I remember you stumbling over your words to talk to her, never shutting up about her eyes-"

"Alright!" He said, chuckling himself. "But I'm with her now. Now, it's my turn to tease you for falling in love-"

"Again, Grace, hold your horses." My cheeks heated up. "I'm not in love."

"You're not." He promised. "You're falling in love. It's in the process."

"Oh, for the love of- shut up." I mumbled, stifling a smile at Jason's laughter.

"Look, the more you deny it, the harder you make it for yourself. This isn't going to get easier to deal with the more you delay it."

"I know that."

"Do you?"

"You're not helping, Grace."

I heard him sigh. "You're literally hopeless, Jackson."

"I mean, you guys really don't expect something to happen this quick, right?"

"Dude, you guys have feelings for each other, the least you could do is admit it to yourself."

"I have feelings for her." I admitted. "How do I know she has feelings for me?"

"There's no way of knowing." 

I groaned in response. 

"Well, welcome to relationships."

"I'm not even in one." I deadpanned.

"Being in a relationship is one phase of it all, getting in there is the first difficult one." I knew that much after looking at my friends. "And you're talking about feelings, Percy. There's nothing you can do to find out what she's thinking. But she definitely enjoys your company and being with you. Make of that what you will."

My phone's alarm rang, reminding me my little break was over. I sighed.

"Alright, Jason, my break is over. I'll call you later." 

"Have fun." A ding told me the call was over.

I stuffed the phone in my pocket, and walked over to the fiction shelf, where a new arrival of novels had to be restacked in alphabetical order of the author's names. Yay.

I checked the first letter of the names, and tried my best to arrange them accordingly. A faint smile slipped out on my face, and I stared at the novel in my hands. 'The Color Purple' rested in my hand. I remembered buying this gift for my mom's birthday. She absolutely loved it, though I was a bit concerned when I found her crying while reading it.

Books weren't really my thing, but my mom loved literature.

I put it up, next to 'Meridian'.

~~~~~

I walked home after my shift was over, hugging my jacket tighter around me when the breeze picked up. My foot found an occasional fallen dry leaf, and stepped on it, producing a satisfying crunch.

I squinted and studied the sunset, the oranges and pinks marred by buildings, but contrasting gorgeously. I ended up at my doorstep, and turned around to twist the knob open, but stopped my hand a few inches away.

I turned my head around and stared at Annabeth's door. Creepy, I know. I was free for the rest of the evening, and my mom wouldn't show up for awhile.

I stood right in that position, debating whether I should ask her now, or go hide in my room like a coward. Eventually, I decided on the former. For some reason.

Taking a few steps had never felt so terrifying.

My legs carried me there at a brisk pace, which I hated. In a few seconds, I was standing in front of her door.

My brain felt like tangled mush. I felt like if someone asked me what color the sky was, I'd respond with something like '4'. My hands shook, so I stuffed one in my pocket, and the other rested an inch away from her door.

No more thinking! Just do it!

I bit my lip, and rapped three times sharply. Then instantly regretted it. Not the bold asking her out, but the speed. I should've delayed maybe a few more minutes. Or days.

I must've looked terrible, cause when Annabeth opened the door, her face showed slight concerned. "Hey, Percy. What's up?"

I rocked on my feet back and forth. "Um, I wanted to, uh, ask you something."

She nodded slowly, a small smile flickering on her lips. "Go ahead."

"Would you, uh," I rubbed the nape of my neck nervously. Annabeth gestured to go on. So I did.

"Wouldyouliketogetsomehochocolate?"

Annabeth blinked, looking utterly confused. "I'm sorry, repeat that?"

"Uh, would you, um, like to, uh, get some hot chocolate?" I asked, slowing down a little. "I mean, if you're free, we can go. If you're not, it's alright, I'll just go-"

"No, it's okay." She squeaked, her face displaying alarm, the smile frozen on her face. She seemed panicked, what for, I didn't know.

She must've realized her voice was unusually high-pitched, cause then she coughed and straightened up, smiling wider. "Just, uh, let me get my coat."

She disappeared inside. I rubbed my hands together, hearing the jingling of keys and she came back out. She locked the door, and stuffed the keys in her coat pocket. She grinned at me.

"Jupiter Cafe?"

I grinned back. "Jupiter Cafe."