9. Who's gonna help you now?

"you will do what I tell you to do." threatened Klaus engaging in a quick staredown with the local Bennett witch.

"Enough my love. She is scared enough." said Marilyn casually sauntering in the room.

"I'm not afraid of him." Bonnie declared.

"Then me? Am I the reason for your fear?" Bonnie remained silent. "I am, aren't I? Is it because I killed your mother? Oh wait──she is a vampire now. Wonder why?" Bonnie could only glare at Marilyn and silently seeth in anger.

"Do you know why Witch' have always been so feared, Bonnie?" asked Marilyn. She sat down on the arm chair, crossed her left leg over her right and leaned back into the chair.

"I have come to believe it was because they are immensely uncontrollable." she answered her own question.

"Why do you let your friends walk all over you?" Bonnie was taken aback and speechless because of Marilyn's question.

"They are my friends. And friends help one another."

"You are right because you dying for them while they don't do anything is friendship and not self-sabotage. Hmm, I guess I was wrong." Marilyn shot an incredulous look at Klaus who responded to it with just a smile.

"It's not like that. Elena is my best friend. I'd do anything for her."

"I never mentioned Elena by name. I said friends in general." Marilyn retorted with a smug grin. "Speaks volumes doesn't it?" Bonnie sunk in her seat.

"I remember someone once telling me that Bennett witches are related to Salem witches. Do you know why the women were burnt at stake?"

"Because they were witches." responded Bonnie.

"So naive. Sweetheart you're a witch. You should be sweet, yes, it's the motherly-ness archetype we, women are born with. Not our fault. Salem witch trails happened not because the accused women were witches, it happened because the women were ambitious. And being ambitious Bonnie, in any time on earth whilst being a woman, is being a fucking three ring circus. You know what that means?" Bonnie was mesmerized by Marilyn's words. Her words were hypnotic, her accent pooled out strongly with each word.

"What?"

"Chaos. An ambitious woman is a chaotic figure men think they cannot handle and that's the truth and so they think they are entitled to tame the beast."

"And so witches are like representatives of ambition." Bonnie asked.

"Not exactly. Women are independent individuals, witchcraft is just an added incentive." she told Bonnie,

"Your so-called friends have a pattern of exploiting you for their own purposes, only seeking you out when they need your abilities. They've caused such bloodshed, havoc, and chaos-all in the guise of aiding a single soul. Frankly, it's a mockery; they use you as a tool, demanding favors then vanishing like shadows. How can you tolerate this exploitation?" With a sinuous grace, Marilyn settled deeper into the cushioned armchair.

She leaned in, her posture predatory with elbows poised on her legs and her brow arched with a sardonic twist to her lips. "Oh dear Bonnie, the ever open-handed one. Your generosity knows no bounds; your vitality, your enchantments-you bleed them out for those around you. It's tragically noble. And despite the myriad betrayals by these 'friends'-a term I utter with utmost scorn since they've seldom accorded you the respect you're owed-you still rise resilient and unbroken."

"You do not understa──"

Marilyn interrupted with a chilling smoothness, "I am acutely aware that Elena's grief shadows us all, that her losses are unparalleled. But that does not vindicate your reckless sacrifices on her behalf."