Chapter Fifty-Two: A Suffering

Lumo had wished me a good night with a familiar, comforting, farewell kiss to my forehead before disappearing once more down the crooked stairwell and into the dark below. His light footsteps still left creaking wooden echoes in the midnight silence of the old boarding house, and I was very tempted to follow after him into the night.

So, when I heard a familiar tapping on my window just after I finally lay my head down to sleep, I jolted upright, heart thumping anew. Yet, as I drew the curtains, there was no crow there to greet me - but long-necked crane, white feathers aglow with moonlight. I stared for a moment, confused, but another tap of long beak on glass urged me out of my static disappointment. I struggled for a moment, pulling the old wooden window frame upwards with a splintering screech through the still of night, and the bird leaned forward, revealing the small tied parchment on its arched silken neck.

I untied the string-wrapped parchment and watched the crane jump back, hopping on long legs, before it stretched its grand wings and disappeared into the night.

Of all the words that could have been written, of all the messages I could have received, there was nothing that foretold what I next read by the soft light of the moon.

Dear Sister,

I have finally found you.

She has taken mother with flowery words.

I have seen her eyes, so now it is my turn to run.

I have seen horrors - and my heart aches for you - for Lucerna.

I cannot reach father.

I cannot say more - be weary of cranes.

I hope you are safe, and that our paths may cross again.

There is so much I wish to say to you.

L

Limenta.

I read her scrawled words, calligraphy still delicate and swirling even in haste, over, and over, and over. There was a bloom of guilt brewing inside me. Since my time away, my thoughts only seldom went back to my family. All this time, I assumed their lives would continue as they always had, if not unburdened by my presence.

As conflicted as my feelings were for my sister, there were still pieces of me that remembered the young girl she once was - what we both were. For most of my life, she was my very best friend. Although, I would not deny that the older we grew, the more fractured our bond became. She was beyond clever - so it only made sense that she would realize the true nature of the Guides.

I have seen her eyes.

My mind raced. Had she seen Herculea? But how?

And how did she find me? Where was she, if on the run?

Be weary of cranes.

The cranes - All of the messages being sent from the Barrens, of plans and strategy, could they be compromised?

I jumped to the door, throwing it open, only to run directly into Lumo, face colliding with his chest. He staggered backwards, catching me.

"The cranes," I spat to the flustered Lumo, urgency masking my embarrassment.

"What are you talking about?"

I shoved the letter to his chest, and watched, heart racing as he quickly scanned over the parchment. Without a word, with a swirl of his cloak, Lumo was gone once more, leaving me breathless and alone in the dark hall.