Chapter Five: Sordid Answers

I've never before felt so small.

I knew from my stories of the vastness of the realm - but here, up above the forest canopy, the horizon stretched farther than even my newfound eyes could see. I was nothing - nothing but a tiny black speck high above the trees. We had only been in the air for a few moments before the bright dancing suns started their slow spiral over the eastern mountain range of Valencte - sending slivers of golden light through the low clouds above. A beauty so jarring that I nearly fell out of the sky.

It was almost high noon by the time we finally landed. I followed the stranger down through a thick patch of ancient treetops, weaving carefully through the branches to keep up. As we both flittered to the ground, my eyes met with our destination. In the middle of a small clearing in the dense woods was a modest wooden cabin. It was small, possibly only one room, and looked to be long abandoned. The once-dark wood was stained green with years of moss and moisture, as I could hear what sounded like a small brook nearby. The thatched roof was in desperate need of repair and started to droop over one side, curving around a small stone tower of rocks that made up the twisted chimney. I hopped closer, hesitant, but something caught my eye. On the crooked old front door was inlaid a small golden crest, a sigil, shining bright and new in contrast to the rest of the dreary cabin.

I had seen these sorts of magical objects before in the city; it was a ward of protection, preventing entry or detection on any sort of magical devices. However, this particular ward was more delicately carved and elaborate than any I had seen before, with tiny delicate snakes circling flowers in golden chains.

"What is this place?" I said, still surprised when my inquiry came out in a loud "caw".

"A hiding place," he replied, "A place I made many moons ago as refuge. It's seen better days. But you will be safe here for now."

I watched as he hopped to the door and tapped it three times with his beak. The door creaked open in response. To my surprise, it was brightly lit inside with soft lamps lighting the red and black embroidered couch and high bookshelf. There was a large woven tapestry hanging on the wall, detailing even the smallest mountain range just above a single bed, piled high with lush blankets.

I hesitated at the door, uncertain of what to do next, when he finally turned to me.

"After you," he said, stepping back, "I'm afraid we will have to stay in these forms just a bit longer. It's easier for us to talk this way... At least until I get my mask back."

I glided forward, landing on the elaborate couch and getting one of my tiny nails stuck in the fine weave much to my frustration. He let out a caw-laugh and hopped up softly beside me, leaving the door to close on its own with a gentle creak.

"I... I don't even know your name," I started.

Maybe it was the earlier calming spell he put on me but the gravity of the situation was starting to just now settle in. Here I was in the middle of the woods, secluded in a strange cabin, with a strange and powerful mage - one who had bewitched me not once, but twice, with a single word.

There was a brief pause as the bird seemed to consider my words.

"I am called Lumo," he began, "And before I begin to answer all of the many questions you may have, I do want to apologize for my earlier demeanor. I forgot my manners in my urgency. I hope you can forgive me."

"Lumo," I started, "Why can't I see your face?"

The strange bird jumped down, perhaps slightly agitated as he began to pace about the small room.

"Because I don't have my mask," he answered curtly.

"...I'm aware of that. I'm just not sure why you need to cover your face to begin with," I hesitated. "Do you have some sort of birthmark or disfigurement? I really don't mind-"