Chapter 20: Rabbit

Vivian at 125k words.

Just under 2k

my head hurts, and this took a long time to write. Please enjoy. 

Anyway, please join my discord if you wanna talk about this or make suggestions: https://discord.gg/aV9cGRYAtH

________________________________________________________________________________

Velgrynd's POV

"You allowed the subject to escape, wizard... Still, your unusual discovery is... Useful. I will give you both a reward." I couldn't believe I was saying it, I was shivering all over with disgust at what I'd just seen.

A soul grasped at and torn from its isolated space... ripped apart and fused with some metal toy. It was abhorrent.

That creature was disgusting, even if I love Rudra. I can stomach this for him, but if it were under other circumstances, I would have killed it.

I needed a way to restrain the thing, ensuring its powers were not misused. Killing it would reveal me, and that was unacceptable with our current plans... However, there are other ways to impose control over monsters.

I could offer the creature a name. Its soul is intelligent, and human-like, but so long as it accepts the name... I'd need to frame it as a reward. The wizard wants to give the monster a life away from all this, some uninhabited land somewhere.

I did not disagree with the line of thinking, it was for the best to put it somewhere no one would come to harm. So, reconstituting the silly legion of that Wizard, and offering the creature a place far away to live... And the power to protect itself.

With a contingency in place, in the form of my own control.

That was the best plan. If I needed to kill the thing, so be it, but for the time being that was entirely unnecessary.

A name would be enough.

Then I concluded they needed to retrieve that guard, their subject. I heard what the creature had said... Holding the man's family hostage. It hit deeply in a way I had not expected, his son, his wife. All the more disgusting.

Yet, I had to tear the man from such human things... I was a monster as well at times. "Both of you, retrieve the subject. Be discreet, and do not allow it to cause discontent among the citizenry.

"Yes, Lord Marshal." The wizard bowed to me, and at that he created a teleportation circle to take himself and the creature out of sight.

________________________________________________________________________________

William's POV

"Are you sure that worked, old man? That was one intimidating presence I felt, and all of it was directed at me." It was a unique sensation, as if the weight of the world was on top of me, scrutinizing me. Blaming me.

It was different from the feeling of being in the grasp of that one because it was not pure hatred. It was mostly solemn, inquisitive... Disgust.

I could feel a lot of it, and I was confused how Gadra had noticed not even a single bit of it.

"Just tell me where Grant went. And yes, I'm sure. The Marshal was just upset with what you did on ethical grounds, and I can guess why."

I nodded and began searching with my ever so persistent visions... I had been able to see the man since I had turned him into what he was, just like I could see my lovely little experiments with mice.

It was a massive advantage over what I could do on Earth, where so many of my projects got led astray.

Oh how useful it would have been with Henry's daughter, it's difficult to describe. Perhaps if I could have seen and studied her from the beginning, none of the rest of it would've been necessary.