EPISODE 19

JEMS'POV:

We were getting out the elevator when we saw Anna's grandma, she seemed to be holding something big in her hands! It was a big flowers bouquet, she was about to tremble on her way when Mark grabbed the bouquet from her and we asked her if she was okay, and she nodded at us.

Me: grandma, you shouldn't do such thing, why didn't you call someone for help instead!
Her: no it was okay, and there was no one available now...

Mark: what about Robin? You should have told that rascal!
Her: no no, he just has fall asleep and so does Anna, i didn't wanted to disturb them.
We made her sit and we also sat beside her,

Mark: okay, then let me help you out, where were you taking this? You could have told Robin to do this in morning too!
Me: yes grandma, you should have...
Her: no, Anna don't like flowers, and i couldn't wait till morning what if she saw that! And how did you know Robin? Are you in same uni?
Me: no we were classmates in highschool!
She frozzed for a second then said," oh so you must be knowing my Anna too."

Me and Mark looked at each other for a bit before answering i wasn't able to answer but still nodded at her.

Her: oh that's good! You must be knowing her. Well do you know a friend of her with whom she usually used to talk? I asked Robin but he wouldn't tell me, i saw you talking with him back then so i thought you must be knowing him...

I was really getting those flashbacks in my head like it was happening just now, i wasn't knowing how should i say that i am that guy!

But Mark said, " ah no, we don't know!"
Her: oh okay, then you should get going now, you must be getting late.
She was sad i could see that in her eyes but she wasn't showing it at all,
Me: Grandma, well what happened to Anna? Is she good now?

I couldn't stop myself from asking but still did, while Mark was glaring at me like he was going to k"ll me.

Her: nothing new, she had a brain operation back then, then now she still get to endure the pain in her head now too.
Me: operation? How? I never heard...

Her:    She had an accident in highschool, she got hitted by a truck.

She was about to cry, even my eyes filled with tears! Like how i didn't knew it! I never knew that she had a accident from which she is still suffering!  Her face came in front of me with those happy expressions, the sparkling eyes...

Her: dear why are you crying? I am sorry.. did i said something wrong?
Me: ah no, grandma i just couldn't stop it, well when did that accident happened?
Her: it was just the day before her semester exams, i still remember how excited she was to get into a uni...
I felt like i knew her but i didn't even know what she was going through! Why she didn't told me that such thing happened! I wish i wouldn't have burst my anger on her that day so i would have known this, all i could see was her face and her voice was echoing in my ears, the last call we had, it was just echoing, "jems! Just hear me out!", Anna was trying to explain but i refused to...

" You should have atleast called me!" , "Just say that you don't want to be friends with me anymore."...
Me: but didn't she came to give exams?
Her: no she didn't,  she gave entrance exam next year as she was still recovering..

I didn't had any words to say, all i could do was cry over my mistake.. the time she needed me the most, i wasn't there...

Me: but how come no one knows about the accident! It didn't came in news and even no one in school know!

She was hearing all my words carefully and i could see that her eyes were showing it,
Her: i also don't know about it... All i know was she was saved by a guy, and it seemed like the accident happened in a remote area where barely anyone goes, it was stated by the police...

I was hearing her every words carefully, While Mark was also stunned after hearing that...
I couldn't think of anything but her, how she would have gone through it...

Her: dear, i know it was emotional, but why are you crying? I am sorry if i have said something wrong to you again, don't cry...

She started wiping my tears with her hands, i somehow felt some relief but it wasn't going out of my head...

Me: ah no grandma, it's just that she was my classmate and i didn't even knew it...

I wasn't knowing how to tell her that she was my friend, a friend i always used to admire, who always used to be there to hear my problems and when it was my time i wasn't there...

Mark: grandma, how do you know she had only one friend, the one you mentioned before?

I was also waiting for her answer and my curiosity was growing after every second!
Her: she always used to mention him when we used to talk, the time they used to spend at school and even she used to tell me the jokes he used to use and all, i used to feel like they were really close friends, but after that incident she never mentioned him to me. Nor i heard or saw him calling her and she also didn't...

I was really feeling guilty, i was having a special place even if i was just her friend, why i didn't thought about! Why didn't forced her to talk to me and tell me what happened to her... I wish i would have realised that she was having only me as a friend at that time...

Me: sorry...

I paused for a bit then start crying so badly
Me: i am so sorry, i shouldn't have done that!
I couldn't stop crying, the tears were flowing and flowing,
Her: what?
She was waiting for my answer but i was having no words to say...

Mark: grandma, you should go and take some rest, it's already late... We will get going
Me: but... I have...

Her: okay dear, don't cry, everyone makes mistake, it's not like you must have did that intentionally... I don't know what you are talking about but still don't cry, everything will be okay...

I was going to reply her but Mark stopped me by pulling me back by my wrist.

Mark: grandma, don't worry he gets way too much emotional easily. Bye grandma, we will put this into trash, good night.

After that she leaved back to the room which was just beside the elevator.
Me: why did you stopped me, i should have told her that i am ...
Mark: try to understand Jems, we should first clear it out with Anna! We can't drag her grandma in it, didn't you saw that she was already depressed we can't make her depress more

I also agreed with his decision but will Anna talk with me? This question was still there lingering over my head!

Mark: bro, stop crying now, we will go meet her tomorrow, dad must be waiting for us!
Then i wiped my tears, and tried not to cry, we firstly got out and brought two juice bottles as uncle told us and then went to uncle.

M/d: jems what happened to you? Why your eyes seemed to be swallowed? Were you crying?
We both were not getting what to tell him so, "no uncle, some dust got into my eyes, there were some cleaners outside"

M/d: okay, go and wash your face you will not feel itchy then.

I smiled at him and got to washroom, Mark just sat with uncle.

As i stand infront of sink, i sighed then started washing my face, i saw my reflection on the mirror which was just in front of me, i couldn't stop my tears from flowing after looking, then the next i felt like i had been punched in the gut, my breath knocked out, the words were echoing in my mind, refusing to sink in: ' she had an accident in highschool...', i thought she was just angry with me, that she needed space. But this... This was a different story' altogether. I felt a wave of guilt washing over me, for not being there, for not knowing, for assuming the worst. Then i got numerous questions in my head,"what exactly happened?", ",Why did she go to such place?", " How bad was it?", "Why she didn't told me?".
The surrounding of me was blurred and i could see was her face, her smile, her laughter. I felt like i was staring at a stranger, a person i thought i knew but didn't... The weight of my ignorance crushed me, i wanted to go back in time, to be there for her, to hold her hand through darkness. But all i could do was stand here, frozen, as the truth hit me like a ton of bricks....

_____________________________________________

TO BE CONTINUE...