Chapter 16: The Beast

A tall man with white mask stood before a gasping man on his back laying on the floor.

“When will the professors of this academy realize that resistance is futile.” he twisted his sword as the middle-aged professor let out a pained grunt before he lost his life. “Pathetic.”

He raised his sword, its blade dripping crimson blood as it trailed through the gap in the hilt and fell onto the floor below.

The students were horrorstuck. Mr. Henderson was a spellsword professor who dominated the God of War on his first try and retired from the frontline.

Being unable to cast magic made him crippled. Yet he firmly believed in his skills accumulated through years of training. ‘Mr. Henderson lost…’

The second years lost their one and only hope. They were supposed to go for a tour in a beast-filled forest for combat-training when he noticed the irregularity of magic. Mr. Henderson's quick-wittedness allowed them to run this far, but their luck ended there.

“Take them to the Main Hall,.” ordered the masked man.

Men in black surrounded them before any of them could escape. All hope was lost. They each dropped their weapons, lined up, and surrendered to their enemies.

“If they try anything funny,” he casted his crimson eyes to the bun-tied hair girl.Kill them.”

A short while after, another man in black appeared behind his back. Blood covered his outfit, yet he remained uninjured.

Rex completely obliterated Glenn and Marco during their fight. He was left unsatisfied on how it ended and craved for more.

“Mr. Lank Knight,” he called.

“Did you find the artifact?”

The white masked person was identified as Lank Knight. A former 13th Knight of the Round, who's demoted from his rank due to his incapability to use magic for a long period of time.

“Yes, it was on the hand of a pink-haired girl.”

“Did you shred her to pieces?”

“I apologize, but she managed to escap–” he couldn't finish his statement as the Lank Knight released a suffocating aura.

Rex was a named child. One of the future candidates for the Knights of Round. He was unquestionably powerful for his age. But a crippled man’s aura was able to threaten him.

Knights of the Rounds, former members or not, possessed superhuman ability and a vast pool of skill sets that put them in a completely different dimension from the rest.

Incompetent.”

He casted a side-long glance at Rex. A mistake would mean punishment, or worse - death in the Cult. No matter if you're a Named Child, orders from a Knight of the Rounds are absolute. Although the Lank Knight would benefit more from this operation, it was Fenrir who organized the attack.

He needed to retrieve the control unit at any cost. Rex may be a disposable pawn, but he still had his use.

“Find her,” he started walking. “And this time, don't fail.”

Rex nodded, then disappeared into the darkness.

While the Lank Knight roamed around the empty hallway, a colorless shadow formed into a person on his side.

“Who put you in that state?”

He glanced at the four-horned devil who's right hand was wrapped with a piece of student uniform. Blood soaked its navy fabric revealing the severity of the wound.